Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not.sure
    replied
    Boot times might be important for embedded. Things like appliances, entertainment stuff, cars. Some of that is really best to switch off entirely (I guess).

If you reboot your laptop/desktop every day, even if hibernate/suspend are working, you're doin it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I completely disagree, having to use hibernation and reboots are the "nasty workaround" for a poorly implemented sleep. A PC should with reguards to power operate like a cell phone with reboots only being needed in the most dire of circumstances.
    I agree with you for once. Suspend to RAM is my favorite way of saving energy when my computer isn't needed, without an expensive reboot.

I can think of only a few situations where a Suspend to RAM is unwise:

(1) You're in a thunderstorm, and you don't have a UPS on your desktop. You could lose power with the RAM warm, and that isn't too friendly to program state (everything you startup will be in some sort of recovery mode - your browser, LibreOffice, etc.)

(2) You want to suspend a laptop, but you won't be able to plug it in for many hours (12+). The battery will drain completely or mostly in that time from keeping the RAM warm. Better to save battery life and shut it down completely, so you can turn it back on and have a near-full battery on the other side.

If you get caught in situations like these frequently, you find yourself wishing you had a faster boot time. I'll admit that it isn't that important to me, because I don't hit either of these situations more than once a week or so, but shit happens and a fast boot would be nice in those times where you have to do it.

For me, as long as the boot time is significantly faster than what you get on a loaded-down Windows machine (about 3 to 5 minutes of waiting for all the updaters and preloaders to grind through), I'm satisfied. So yeah, it's pretty much a pissing contest if Linux distros are fighting for boot time in the range of less than 1 minute. I use Suspend to RAM often enough that I don't care about boot time differences of less than a minute.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Sleep is just a nasty workaround for long boot times. Fix your boot times and sleep becomes unnecessary.

What, you say you wish to resume without closing your applications? Shut down should be completely replaced by hibernation.

In short: fix boot times (say, 3'' max), completely remove broken sleep and replace shut down by hibernation. Problem solved!

(And when you need a 100% boot, just reboot).
    I completely disagree, having to use hibernation and reboots are the "nasty workaround" for a poorly implemented sleep. A PC should with reguards to power operate like a cell phone with reboots only being needed in the most dire of circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Sleep is just a nasty workaround for long boot times. Fix your boot times and sleep becomes unnecessary.

What, you say you wish to resume without closing your applications? Shut down should be completely replaced by hibernation.

In short: fix boot times (say, 3'' max), completely remove broken sleep and replace shut down by hibernation. Problem solved!

(And when you need a 100% boot, just reboot).

Leave a comment:

• zeealpal
    replied
    Netbook users...

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
    Who really cares about bootup time anyway? Unless you are just constantly rebooting your computer...

Bootup time is really just a Pissing contest.
    I guess netbook users would be more likely to shut down a device when not in use, or when travelling, although they might use sleep as well. The boot time is useless for desktop users but that's not really the target...

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Who really cares about bootup time anyway? Unless you are just constantly rebooting your computer...

+100. Give me a proper working and reliable sleep instead.

Leave a comment:

• DeiF
    replied

Uh, everybody except nerds?

Leave a comment:

• lopho
    replied

now thats an an analogy i like, and yes, it is nothing more.

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    Why not Fedora 15?

Why compare to Fedora 14, and not 15, which (as you know because I told you) is gold and has major changes (improvements) in startup?

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Conclusions?

It looks like the kernel+initrd finishes faster on MeeGo and MeeGo simply starts less. However it's hard to tell because the MeeGo chart is not high resolution so it's difficult to read...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X