What is happening with Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esquio
    started a topic What is happening with Linux?

What is happening with Linux?

What is happening in the recent times with Linux?
    It seems that those days of solid rock stability in the Linux desktop are falling in the past. As I see this history, the decadence started more or less, at the time when kde4 was released; being kde3.5 a very powerful and stable desktop, the 4th release was no more than a technology preview that only recently have reached a quality point just between an alpha and a beta. Even now, only for example, we have not a printer administration panel like that one in 3.5.

In the current times, it seems that overlay bars, effects, and many other visual improvements are by far more important than hardware support. But people seems to forget that the first you need to display the "pleasant" effects is a WORKING desktop and OS.
    If you would have to buy a computer now, what would you buy to run Linux?
    A NVIDIA laptop? Optimus not so much supported, Hybrid performance is bad, to the level that it don't works at all...
    A ATI laptop? AMD and hybrid with Linux promises a full degree of experience in kernel panics, X crashes, heat, regressions, etc...
    A Macbook? It seems the best or even the only one option for stability, but Sandy Bridge it's not so much supported yet...
    Other options? I can only think in buy a 2nd hand minimum two years old laptop.

Then, the question again, what is happening? You want a Linux computer to work with it, not to show the superb desktop to your friends, while crossing your fingers willing that the X server don't crashes again this time, or the system doesn't hang.
    I think that Desktop developer companies like ubuntu, fedora, kde or gnome and others are missing the point here, as user experience is very important, but stability is the FIRST BIG part of it, and no the effects, shadows, or where to place the buttons.

• kayosiii
    replied
    Originally posted by esquio View Post
    If you would have to buy a computer now, what would you buy to run Linux?
    A NVIDIA laptop? Optimus not so much supported, Hybrid performance is bad, to the level that it don't works at all...
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/b...ing-to-ubuntu/ looks like optimus support will be in sometime soon.
    Point taken though that hybrid graphics on Linux at the moment aren't that great. If I needed a production system that absolutely required the extra battery life that hybrid graphics provides I would probably hold off for a few months more though.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Long ago

Life now is better than it was back then. 10-15 years ago.

Shuttleworth got the ball rolling over everybody's toes. Linux is finally going somewhere.

Clicking a deb file in the browser and having the installer fire up is a feat in itself.

I ain't looking back. Sometimes I think of all the crap I have put up with was for naught.

Leave a comment:

• cobratbq
    replied
    Originally posted by ahlaht View Post
    You are right. That was a scary transition. But KMS is an optional feature. Linux distributions could have just kept it off by default.

But of course it's faster to do the alpha testing with users so there are more people complaining to upstream and things get fixed faster.
    Hehe, in that case I can both confirm the 'alpha' and the 'testing'. Man, they really enabled that one distro release too early

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Its usually graphics related or some driver that isn't unloading correctly.
    Ahhh... well, I hope I'm not out of luck then.

It's a SiS 760GX graphics chipset. Uh-oh...

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    I have a laptop with SiS graphics.

I think the issues or problems are understated here. Then there's the trolls (same ppl who accuse others of being trolls) who pretend there's hardly any issues at all.

The hibernate/suspend/sleep problems is another that seems to be omitted from these types of discussions. I am not sure if it is usually distro-related, kernel/graphics or what but one of my laptops doesn't 'wake up' when the lid goes down. It requires a hard re-boot. I'm inclined to speculate it's often graphics related or something to do with X-Server?

Anyway...
    Its usually graphics related or some driver that isn't unloading correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I think they're not, because you're ignoring them. Are you able to point to a single comment stating there's hardly any issues at all? As far it's you who's ignoring the fact there are many issues on windows with wirelless, troll (by your definition: same ppl who accuse others of being trolls).
    Ok. I don't want to argue anymore. Let the content/details based on the topic of the thread continue.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied

I think the issues or problems are understated here. Then there's the trolls (same ppl who accuse others of being trolls) who pretend there's hardly any issues at all.
    I think they're not, because you're ignoring them. Are you able to point to a single comment stating there's hardly any issues at all? As far it's you who's ignoring the fact there are many issues on windows with wirelless, troll (by your definition: same ppl who accuse others of being trolls).

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    You have my deepest sympathies..

I acknowledge issues exist, however, I believe there are better ways of solving them than generalized ranting on Phoronix forums.

one of my laptops doesn't 'wake up' when the lid goes down. It requires a hard re-boot. I'm inclined to speculate it's often graphics related or something to do with X-Server?
    What have you done to troubleshoot the issue? Where is your bug report?

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
    That's what I wanted to say, when typing that Dell, HP and Lenovo test Linux compatibility since 2010. On the many computers where I have run Linux, the only real hardware problems were Broadcom wireless (Atheros to a lesser extent) and SiS graphics. On Linux forums, there are many users without any hardware problem.

We have reached a point where the majority of computers is working well, or with only minor problems.

The hibernate/suspend/sleep problems is another that seems to be omitted from these types of discussions. I am not sure if it is usually distro-related, kernel/graphics or what but one of my laptops doesn't 'wake up' when the lid goes down. It requires a hard re-boot. I'm inclined to speculate it's often graphics related or something to do with X-Server?

Anyway...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X