No announcement yet.

Another Major Linux Power Regression Spotted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm... seat of the pants I am getting about 20% less battery life using 2.6.38 & 2.6.39-rc kernels. My netbook is an Acer AO721-3574 with AMD Neo K125 (single core). I'm running Debian Unstable (Sid) with drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git.

The only things that I have changed in kernel config over the last couple of months are the addition of CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED, CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED, & CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE.

It will be interesting to see what the cause is.

Comment

I wonder if this also affects Android Phones? They are quite notorious for their bad battery-life. If so, Google might be interested in fixing this. :>

Comment

Are we closer to identifying those commits? Have the kernel dudes taken notice?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          I wonder if this also affects Android Phones? They are quite notorious for their bad battery-life. If so, Google might be interested in fixing this. :>
          Do you know what kernel Android is running?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Gingerbread (2.3) has 2.6.35 and honeycomb (3.0) has 2.6.36. Though it's clear that the bug affects ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              2.2.1 is running 2.6.35-7 and 2.3 is running a variant of 2.6.37.

Comment

Have you posted to the kernel mailing list? I searched through the April archives and haven't found anything about a power regression. Somebody else familiar with this code can probably find the problem faster than you and many probably don't read your blog or the Ubuntu bugs. You mentioned in bugzilla that you knew the affected pull. You should contact whoever was pulled from to see if they have ideas.

Comment

god bless you

man git bisect

Comment

Originally posted by nej_simon View Post
                    Gingerbread (2.3) has 2.6.35 and honeycomb (3.0) has 2.6.36. Though it's clear that the bug affects ARM.
                    "It's NOT clear" I meant of course.

Comment

sorry,

man git-bisect,

PS: il n'y a que ceux qui ne font rien, qui ne se trompent jamais

Comment

Working...
                      X