Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panix
    replied
    Better to wait for Llano laptops or new revisions for summer? That's what I was told if in the market for a laptop... will they be that much better or worth waiting for?

Also, prices for current laptops might go down as they'll be considered a bit outdated or older generation? What to do? If budget is $500, then what?

Sorry, to go on a tangent from System76. I think those are good for just knowing the hardware will be more compatible and have people testing it for Ubuntu. But, I agree, it's just a badge on hardware.

Leave a comment:

• dl.zerocool
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Even then it isn't really an advantage as a 16:10 has the same capabilities.
    Agreed, even for 90? rotating screens 16:10 is better, so you still have enough columns in width.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by dl.zerocool View Post
    I really don't see the advantage of having 16:9... except for watching movies.
    Even then it isn't really an advantage as a 16:10 has the same capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• dl.zerocool
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    + 1 billion. Gimmie my 16:10 back dammit!
    Totally agree !

Damn it's such a pain to dev with this 16:9... We need HEIGHT !
    Who cares about 1600x900 or 1920x1080 just give us the 1600x1050 or the 1920x1200
    Please !
    Let 16:10 on professional notebooks and 16:9 for multimedia ones.

I really don't see the advantage of having 16:9... except for watching movies.

Everything else need at least 16:10, text writing/reading, web... etc.

Leave a comment:

• codedivine
    replied
    Does anyone know what battery life to expect out of this?

Leave a comment:

• chenxiaolong
    replied
    r1348: They're actually rebranded Clevo laptops .

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    System76, if you're listening please release a laptop with the following specs:

- 14'' Screen, 15.XX are too big and 13.XX are just too small.
    - Quad Core Sandy Bridge, not including hyperthreading, real cores.
    - OPTIONAL ATI graphics. I might or might not want Intel graphics, using ATI ensures I have good open source drivers available on top of great open Intel graphics drivers.
    - Wireless of course
    - HDMI out
    - Firewire 800 or more
    - E-Sata
    - 8gigs RAM minimum
    - SD slot
    System76, as many other suppliers, just customizes and rebrands Compal laptops.
    I know cause I got one years ago from Italian supplier Santech.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
    Lousy 16:9 screens.....
    + 1 billion. Gimmie my 16:10 back dammit!

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Nice notebook.

I was in the market for a high end notebook with these features: Sandybridge quad core cpu like 2630qm or better, nvidia gtx 460m or higher gpu, 1980x1080p or higher resolution preferably matte, potentially dual hard drive, backlit keyboard, usb 3.0 and aesthetically simple (that doesn't look gaudy or scream gaming).

The Serval almost fits this description, but System76's Gazelle professional has that rare awesome matte display. However, both of them lack backlit keyboard, which is almost a deal killer for me. The other deal killer was the lack of second hard drive slot. Note that Serval and Gazelle also have a rare DVI port.

I would also note that Serval and Gazelle are the same (chasis) as Clevo P150HM and P151HM1 (see avadirect dot com), also sold by Sager as NP8130 (see xoticpc dot com, which should also be the cheapest option).

I eventually ended up buying a Asus G53SW-XN1 (from NewEgg, which should arrive before this weekend). While it has glossy screen, it has backlit keyboard. The looks are not so modest, but since I already have a Asus G50VT, I am comfortable with it and also very convinced about the build quality.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Dimensions are dimensions and no matter how well designed light and beautiful apple laptops are, above 15 they are beasts. Mind you i wouldn't go near an apple product.

However it all depends on the type of job you do and what kind of job you do on the move. I am not saying they don't have their place in the market but i find that a small laptop and a big screen (30" ) when you are in office mode is more "correct" IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X