GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of luck to the project.

I already planned on using Sip Witch to set up a purely client-server intranet SIP env some time, that it can already do. Mesh support would make it more of a p2p app and less of a server, so I hope for these environments the p2p features can be turned off.

Also would be interesting to hear how GPG hashes of the session key avoids MITM; Zimmerman says they should be read aloud at the start, as the secure way to exchange them.

Oh also,
    Skype users can gtfo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
      Will be possible to contact a Skype user via GNU free call? AND (not OR) vice versa? if I do skype calls via facebook can I reach or be reached by a GFC user?

If the answer is no... Ekiga . Game over, Gnu Free Call .

P.S. What about IP to non-IP calls?

It is possible to connect to skype user, skype already provides the API for that, both pidgin and empathy can do that with extra plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by indus View Post
        It is possible to connect to skype user, skype already provides the API for that, both pidgin and empathy can do that with extra plugins.
        But just for chatting. You cant make phone calls.

Comment

Why not call it "Gnu Call"?

Comment

Skype? Give me a break! Remember how everyone was rolling his eyes when being warned about potential threat to his privacy by closed crap (both software and communication protocols)? And then this:

Originally posted by http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/10/chinese-skype-s/
            A Chinese-language version of Skype scans users? chat messages for keywords such as "democracy," and sends a copy of the offending message to the company?s servers, according to a report released Thursday by a Canadian online human rights group.

That?s despite adamant claims by the Ebay-owned company that its software offers encrypted, safe communication.
            Originally posted by http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2008/10/skype_admits_to_helping_china.php
            Skype has admitted that TOM-Skype its Chinese venture co-owned with TOM Online Inc,, has been monitoring text messages for politically sensitive keywords.

They also admitted that these messages and personal user records were stored insecurely, accessible to anyone, on servers in China. The messages were encrypted, but they were stored with the key necessary to decrypt them.
            They even pulled some soft of "independent security audit" out of their ass, but eventually the truth always reveals itself - and the truth is that they can never be trusted, because "corporate greed knows no limits when it comes to selling out other people for profit."

Not that I had anything to hide, but I definitely value my freedom (which implies right for privacy) above anything else. Good luck blowing Skype's sorry ass out of the sky as it rightfully deserves!

Comment

Please, let gnus run freely in their savannah!

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Why not call it "Gnu Call"?
              Why for a change call it NOT GNU-something?

Come on, gnu is one of the most absurd beasts in the world, a not-that-bright mix of an horse and a cow, a natural prey for more aggressive animals like lions, and it is U.G.L.Y!
              Please, someone tell RMS to choose a better name and logo for the free software movement! Gnu's Not Unix? Fine, but would be better to tell what the free-as-in-freedom operating system IS instead of what it is NOT?

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post

They even pulled some soft of "independent security audit" out of their ass, but eventually the truth always reveals itself - and the truth is that they can never be trusted, because "corporate greed knows no limits when it comes to selling out other people for profit."

Not that I had anything to hide, but I definitely value my freedom (which implies right for privacy) above anything else. Good luck blowing Skype's sorry ass out of the sky as it rightfully deserves!
                If you think your government cannot monitor your skype conversation then you are mistaken.Governments will keep invading our privacy under one pretext or the other.You probably think your email is secure but it is not either.It can be easily monitored.

Due to the wonders of the internet skype and other communication can be kept out of reach of many, but if they happen to have an office in your country you can expect some sort of gov scrutiny.

India specific http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneratio...d-be-next/8563

Comment

No edit button so i add a few more things:

The US and EU have one of the biggest monitoring setups on earth.Iam not sure about skype but no corporation there can ever escape security laws in any country,be it china or india or the US.

Luckily for skype they are based in luxembourg.

Comment

If you think your government cannot monitor your skype conversation then you are mistaken.
                    On the contrary - I'm saying that the Chinese have already been caught spying on people using Skype and they're definitely not the only ones. We're on the same ship, bro.

Governments will keep invading our privacy under one pretext or the other.You probably think your email is secure but it is not either.It can be easily monitored.
                    Again - as far as I know, many Google servers are located in jurisdictions where companies have to hand out the keys to anyone coming around with government "do whatever you want and get away with it" badge and "national security" excuse. Don't worry - it's been a long time since I stopped being naive.

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post
                      On the contrary - I'm saying that the Chinese have already been caught spying on people using Skype and they're definitely not the only ones. We're on the same ship, bro.

Again - as far as I know, many Google servers are located in jurisdictions where companies have to hand out the keys to anyone coming around with government "do whatever you want and get away with it" badge and "national security" excuse. Don't worry - it's been a long time since I stopped being naive.
                      Yes, its so true.I misread your post i think.

But skype actually uses industry standard 256 AES encryption so i hear even US has tough time intercepting it,but iam sure they can do it.Considering US is highly sensitive on these issues of security they probably wont allow skype calls into or outside the US without this.I dont know the status of this though.

Comment

Working...
                      X