No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not good. If it is not fixed, ill have to ignore gnome 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
      Again dude, I am not trolling. I have worked on every DE on linux and I feel gnome to be best suited for me. I was just stating my opinion.
      Actually, you were saying KDE4 is a big fail, just because you like Gnome better. If that's not trolling, what is?

Comment

Why on earth do developers continue REMOVING choices for no reason other than "we think people should do things our way"??? I understand not implimenting a feature that they don't care about, or getting rid of a feature that is hard to maintain. But simply removing the user interface for a feature that remains behind the scenes is insane.

Anyone who tries to argue that having an extra menu option or checkbox for a preference is somehow detrimental to a user's experience is completely out of touch with how users operate...

Comment

they dont remove that

They don?t remove that functionality like you said, they just dont make a new gui thing for it. Its not in gnome3.0 so they can?t remove it.

gnome3.0 is maybe a somewhat misleading name. It could nearly be called gnome-next-gen 1.0. Ok they use for the beginning some same dependencies but thats all.

So and the discussion about that this configuration thing is why gnome suck at all and kde is super is somewhat stupid. Even if you thing the gconf stuff sucks, that can not be the benchmark if gnome3.0 is good or not. Or do you all day sit there and configure your gui?

Comment

I know no less than three people who put Windows on their MacBook just to get rid of this behavior.

At least one of those people may be happier with GNOME than OS X though, since his particular use case was attaching the laptop to his TV and playing Hulu, which OS X made impossible with the lid closed but Windows allowed.

Still, I have cases where I close the lid just to get the display to turn off immediately or to move around the apartment, and I don't want my network connections broken. Especially my SSH connections.

I've been incredibly displeased with GNOME 3 in general, though. I've been wanting to start a fork of the GNOME 3 - gnome-shell code to basically continue the GNOME 2 UI, but clean up some of the rough spots. And make a strict "fix bugs in your code before adding new features" policy. I don't even care if that cuts down the number of developers; I'd rather have 5 guys who are fixing bugs than 50 guys who are adding them.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              I've been incredibly displeased with GNOME 3 in general, though. I've been wanting to start a fork of the GNOME 3 - gnome-shell code to basically continue the GNOME 2 UI, but clean up some of the rough spots. And make a strict "fix bugs in your code before adding new features" policy.
              You know gnome-panel is in gnome 3.0 still there. And there is just released a gnome 2.30 version what is a fresh gnome 2.x verion : http://library.gnome.org/misc/releas.../index.html.en

The soup isnt that hot when you eating it as it got cooked (german saying ^^)

Comment

I have a ThinkPad X61T which suspends to RAM just fine, and I do hook it up to external display from time to time (when using it from my desk). I rarely want to close the laptop lid without suspending to RAM, unless I have an external monitor. I agree with the point of the argument: we need a setting for this. Ideally in a GUI, not in the CLI.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                  Which is exactly why Gnome fucking sucks. It's 2011 and you're talking about having to run a bash script and hope for someone making a program. So you're right - the entire concept is stupid, but it's the GNOME way.
                  Don't get too carried away - as the guy you're replying to said, that's a worst case scenario. In reality, there *will* be a dconf setting to change the behaviour - that was stated in the first comment on the linked article.

And realistically, the UI people are certain to change their decision on this. Again from the linked article, it's clear they've been assuming the option was there as a workaround for flaky suspend behaviour. And the replies have made it *very* clear that that's not the case, and that people have genuine reasons for wanting that option. It'll change.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    I've been incredibly displeased with GNOME 3 in general, though. I've been wanting to start a fork of the GNOME 3 - gnome-shell code to basically continue the GNOME 2 UI, but clean up some of the rough spots. And make a strict "fix bugs in your code before adding new features" policy. I don't even care if that cuts down the number of developers; I'd rather have 5 guys who are fixing bugs than 50 guys who are adding them.
                    I'm the lead developer of the Nexradix GNU/Linux distro (an Ubuntu derivative), and feel the same way. I have sworn not to add Gnome-Shell or Unity (that Ubuntu is using) as the default interface for Nexradix. Which means I'll need to maintain quite a few Gnome2 packages once they drop out of Gnome3 down the line (gnome-panel probably being the first one eventually).

If you or anyone else would like to collaborate on that endeavor, send me a PM. My company may end up hosting some kind of Gnome2 fork when it's all said and done, if for no other reason than to keep the interface in Nexradix consistent.

Comment

GNOME is all about removing freedom of choice from the users. That's why I'm forced to use KDE, even if it's not exactly great.

I'd actually like a desktop environment in the middle ground between the two - i.e. one that doesn't tell me that I don't need "cancel" buttons, but that doesn't need every window that opens to be resized and pruned from toolbars before getting usable.

E17 is cool, but it's missing some pieces.

Comment

Working...
                      X