Initial Findings: MeeGo 1.1 Netbook vs. Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just did a screen shot of powertop running:

Also it only has integrated GMA X4500M so the battery time is very long compared to discrete graphics laptops.

Note that it reports 4.4 Hours cruse time when the battery percentage is at 73.2%!

Comment

Eh, nothing new, my old Fujitsu B2130 idles 6.9W under linux

Comment

Ok i've got to your record

You idle at 6.9W on a Celeron 400, I've achieved the same 6.9W with my Duo T9300 but this time with wifi off. I guess you don't have wifi either.

Comment

Originally posted by seagull7 View Post
          Which OS is more useful (practical) for the hetbook user?
          Yesterday I tried the meego 1.1 image in my Dell Mini 9 (Kubuntu runs just fine there). I simply couldn't get very far: the trackpad didn't work (had to plug a usb mouse, which did work). There was not sound, and the wifi card was not detected.

The UI looked nice and clean, but again, not much that I could do. This is clearly (nice) work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by seagull7 View Post
            Which OS is more useful (practical) for the hetbook user?
            My advice is to use Ubuntu netbook edition 10.04. It's ideal for a netbook.

Comment

It's hard to call for me. Meego is interesting, but it seems designed to obfuscate any tampering with package installation outside of it's proferred options. I was never able to get my (notorious) broadcom wireless card working under Smeegol, though I can generally get it working fairly quickly under any other distribution. I do think Meego's interface is somewhat different, while being very logical and enjoyable. It's simply very difficult to get the tinier points functional. It seems like a good system for a netbook...but it doesn't support finicky netbook hardware, or the common work-arounds. Ubuntu Netbook is good, although I don't really know if it possesses any advantages over Ubuntu Gnome on a netbook, and has some serious disadvantages as far as customization is concerned.

Definitely recommend Smeegol though for anyone wanting to test a Meego derivative.

Comment

Working...
              X