Remember SplashTop? Here's An Update On Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alive and kicking software patents around

is it good to know they are alive and kicking around their competitors using software patents which we know stifle innovation?

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say spash top is innovative, I remember some Tandy computers that had Dos and Deskmate in a similar manner for instant on booting not to mention Commadore and Atari doing the same basic thing in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I wouldn't exactly say spash top is innovative, I remember some Tandy computers that had Dos and Deskmate in a similar manner for instant on booting not to mention Commadore and Atari doing the same basic thing in the 80's.
        Which is exactly the point. How can anyone be innovative if even noninnovative work is cock-blocked by a bad patent? Not only is it very likely "Prior Art" but the obvious patent is obvious and should be thrown out. Instead it's being used as a tool for SplashTop's evil anti competitive bidding. The messed up thing is that company's abuse will continue as long as they can continue to scare others into settling out of court.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Not entirely true, some implementations needed a partition, others did not.(...)Some boards came with "Express Gate Lite" which did however require a drive to be present.
          Please read the whole message before replying. I explicitly wrote that when I bought the board, there was no such "lite" difference, it was all marketed under the "Express Gate" moniker. There was also no warning on the board, on the website or in the Phoronix article for that matter that there were completely different implementations, one decent and one abolutely useless being sold under one name. Only after ASUS received complaints (I suppose not just from me) did they change the box and manuals to include the "lite" designation. Pretty slick, I'd say... Granted, ASUS is not the only company resorting to such tricks, various laptops have "instant-on" systems that are nothing more than hidden DOS or Windows partitions, however that is beside the point.

Comment

That instant-on-boot is overhyped anyway. Suspend-to-RAM is more usefull, especially for laptops. What do you gain with a totally stripped down os with extra old apps like outdated firefox (without fullscreen mode for watching movies), old flash, pidgin - with only few of the possible protocols are even allowed - when a protocol needs an update you are lost, at the time i tested st i wrote a binary hack to allow icq again, but well, that was basically just a prove of concept, normally you would expect much faster updates in that case. Did anybody test the meegoo based variant?

Comment

Working...
            X