Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Test Suite for Android OS

Hey

I have recently came across the Phoronix Test suite for computer benchmarking. I have tried it on ubuntu and looks pretty awesome.

Now we are developing android based phone using the T.I OMAP 4430(Arm Cortex A9 processor). We are building our system on Android platform. I wanted to do some extensive system(hardware) benchmarking, like CPU performance and 3D graphics and RAM performance and stress testing.

1) Any tip on this, if somebody has come across any benchmarking techniques for android.

2) If phoronix can or do provide any support for android platforms

Keep up the good work,

Hi,

If you look around this section of the forums there should be a few more threads talking about PTS for Android. If you get PHP for Android, it should be possible to run the Phoronix Test Suite on it. I have not personally had access to any Android devices yet to ensure there is top-notch support in PTS for it, but hope to find some ARM device(s) soon to ensure PTS3 Iveland will be running great under it and that there are many more ARM-compatible tests.

If you run into any issues with PTS on Android or have any other experiences to share please let me know in the forums or via email (michael at phoronix.com).

Michael Larabel
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi.

PTS has successfully run on Palm hardware with the installation of optware. PTS has patches to understand optware's dependencies. A lot of the CPU, network, memory and disk oriented tests run with virtually no changes so you are most of the way there.

So long as you can satisfy the dependencies, it should work. Keep us informed if you have any luck!

Comment

The installer provided on the phoronix-test-suite.com is either generic Linux format or Debian/ubuntu package. I am unable to run the ".deb" package on my android phone. I'd appreciate if anybody can provide some instructions on that!!

Comment

Originally posted by gutto786 View Post
          The installer provided on the phoronix-test-suite.com is either generic Linux format or Debian/ubuntu package. I am unable to run the ".deb" package on my android phone. I'd appreciate if anybody can provide some instructions on that!!
          Just download the generic .tar.gz package, extract it, and run the phoronix-test-suite.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Android being a cousin rather then a sibling of linux stream OS,it doesnt seem to have the support for generic .tar.gz packages. So you cant just donwload the generic package and run it on android simply.

Comment

Originally posted by gutto786 View Post
              Android being a cousin rather then a sibling of linux stream OS,it doesnt seem to have the support for generic .tar.gz packages. So you cant just donwload the generic package and run it on android simply.
              Have you tried extracting on a Linux box or on a system where you have .tar.gz support enabled and then packing it in an Android-friendly format or just copying it over? From the Git interface u can also download a zip copy, but I wouldn't recommending pulling the Git at this point since there's lots of 3.0 Iveland work going on that isn't yet ready for a production state.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes, well as far as I know extracting a generic tar.gz package is obviously possible but repacking it in an android friendly format is a time consuming job. The code itself requires some modifications and tweaking, which is a little diversion from my prime focus.

I also tried copying it over to android root but of no avail.

Comment

PHP for Android possible path?

I am currently trying to run PTS on a Toshiba AC100 as native as possible.

AndroZip can extract the .tar.gz file

I am trying to use SL4A+PHP for Android (native PHP as opposed to optware)

Comment

added as afterthough: It would be cool if someone managed to use PFA to package PTS as an apk.

Comment

Working...
                    X