X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennisial
    replied
    Originally posted by karl View Post
    Did you experienced this issue with the Thinkpad W510 ?
    Keep up to date with the latest announcements & discussions on the hot topics.

Also I find it strange that for the PHP compile, 7-Zip and GnuPG tests the Thinkpad W510 (with HDD 320GB Hitachi HTS72503) is the same with ZaReason Verix (with HDD 80GB Intel SSDSA2MH08 SSD). I would had expected ZaReason Verix to show better results in those tests.
    i also doubt the test, need more details.

Leave a comment:

• Dennisial
    replied
    Lenovo ThinkPad W510 Notebook only upgrade the hard drive and others?

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    Well, I already have a business class HP machine (tc4400, not my choice), and the build quality is terrible on it, too.

I'm inclined to trust Lenovo on build quality more. Apple is mostly pretty good on that, too, since it seems like all of their high-end machines are built to a higher standard. Of course, Apple has made some bad design choices, so you have to be careful, but I think the current MBP is a fairly well proven design.

My requirements are a bit tricky to balance, since I need something relatively portable as well as powerful. That's where the MBP seems to fit well, but I'm not sure how portable this Lenovo is (I haven't gotten to handle one yet).

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how this machine compares to a Macbook Pro. Once I earn some money, I'm in the market for a well-built workhorse machine for doing everything from browsing the web to playing games to editing video to running CAD software.
    Well, it has home and end buttons.

After seing some poorly built Dells, Toshibaa, and HPs, I feel like the only really reliable laptop manufacturers are Lenovo and Apple.
    If you need a well-built machine, check the business lines of those companies. I have used some very high-quality Dell and HP machines in the past.

All consumer-class notebooks more or less suck as far as build quality is concerned.

Obviously, this has a business-class GPU, but I'm not really sure what kind of benefits that actually gets me (the difference between consumer-grad and busisness-grade GPUs seems rather intangible to me).
    You can run OpenGL quad-buffer stereo and get better performance in some commercial apps (check whether your CAD software can benefit from this).

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    *(^&$**& edit limit.

Oh, also, I went to the IBM website and was sort of ticked that you can't get this machine without Windows, apparently. Nice Linux offerings, Lenovo.

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    I'm trying to figure out how this machine compares to a Macbook Pro. Once I earn some money, I'm in the market for a well-built workhorse machine for doing everything from browsing the web to playing games to editing video to running CAD software.

After seing some poorly built Dells, Toshibaa, and HPs, I feel like the only really reliable laptop manufacturers are Lenovo and Apple.

Obviously, this has a business-class GPU, but I'm not really sure what kind of benefits that actually gets me (the difference between consumer-grad and busisness-grade GPUs seems rather intangible to me).

Leave a comment:

• karl
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    I don't know about the other tests, but at least 7zip doesn't even touch the HDD. It's just a synthetic test that runs off the cpu/ram alone and only tests theoreticall maximum performance out of the cpu/ram being tested.
    I see. Thank you for pointing that out.
    Still, it remains the PHP compile test which I think must read many files from HDD to do the compilation which means many random reads. And on random reads SSD should be king.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by karl View Post
    Also I find it strange that for the PHP compile, 7-Zip and GnuPG tests the Thinkpad W510 (with HDD 320GB Hitachi HTS72503) is the same with ZaReason Verix (with HDD 80GB Intel SSDSA2MH08 SSD). I would had expected ZaReason Verix to show better results in those tests.
    I don't know about the other tests, but at least 7zip doesn't even touch the HDD. It's just a synthetic test that runs off the cpu/ram alone and only tests theoreticall maximum performance out of the cpu/ram being tested.

Leave a comment:

• karl
    replied
    Did you experienced this issue with the Thinkpad W510 ?
    Keep up to date with the latest announcements & discussions on the hot topics.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by phred14 View Post
    One question... The CPU is a Core-i7 quad with 2-way SMT/HT. In /proc/cpuinfo it bills itself as 8 CPUs. I'm presuming my kernel is built with SMT-HT-aware scheduling so it knows it doesn't really have 8 CPUs. But I've seen some articles that suggest it performs better if you just shut SMT/HT off in BIOS and go with 4 true CPUs.

Anyone have any take on this issue?
    I've seen this issue with some specific applications and some HT cpus. If I remember correctly a core i3 cpu is faster at compressing files (real compressing, not synthetic benchmarks like the 7zip one) with HT off, but it's also faster at raytracing with HT on. I have the impression that this problem does not affect Atom cpus which greatly benefit from HT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X