Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZaReason Verix Notebook

Phoronix: ZaReason Verix Notebook

One year ago we reviewed the ZaReason Ion Breeze computer that was built around NVIDIA's ION platform with an Intel Atom CPU, but today we are looking at our first ZaReason notebook and it boasts some very high-end hardware. The Verix 1656 is one of ZaReason's highest-end notebooks and its powered by a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU (with Hyper Threading to make for eight logical cores in this mobile computer), a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M GPU, and a 15.4-inch 1680x1050 display. The ZaReason Verix 1656 also has a very nice brushed-aluminum exterior.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screwdriver supplied. Very nice gesture; it is yours, we have faith in our customers and you have the freedom to do with it what you want.

Cardboard box. Minimalistic. No sea of plastic; we care about the environment.

I will remember this company. However; nVidia... *ouch*. It would be better to ship it with a much more lower power consuming ATi card. Not to mention FLOSS. But given that they invested real world money I do not blame them for supplying a system that realy works *now*. For a lot of people it is all out proprietary Windows with a little Firefox versus almost all out FLOSS with a little bit of proprietary nVidia.

Comment

Any words on fan noise and operating temperatures? Dissipating 47-58W of power can't be easy.

Also, how does the keyboard feel when typing? Are the keys clicky or smooth? Any undue slack?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Any words on fan noise and operating temperatures? Dissipating 47-58W of power can't be easy.
        Probably not overly bad... They're doing similar tricks with most of the i7 laptops that you find with the gamer cases- larger, more effective fans with lower fan speeds. My i7 machine's not been overly noisy, though I do try to avoid using it on my lap as it'll get moderately warm. I'd have gone with this model (it'd come out around the time I bought my i7); but unfortunately, I do dev work, etc. with mine and a 15.4" screen's not big enough for that type of service.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Probably not overly bad... They're doing similar tricks with most of the i7 laptops that you find with the gamer cases- larger, more effective fans with lower fan speeds. My i7 machine's not been overly noisy, though I do try to avoid using it on my lap as it'll get moderately warm. I'd have gone with this model (it'd come out around the time I bought my i7); but unfortunately, I do dev work, etc. with mine and a 15.4" screen's not big enough for that type of service.
          Dual monitors to the rescue. I'm doing dev work on 1680x1050 15.4'' D830 (nice S-PVA monitor) and an external 19'' CRT (that I plan to upgrade to a 24'' IPS monitor this year).

Hey, it works at least!

Comment

Working...
          X