X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by anwars99 View Post
    ...for these Marvell based devices ? I am tired of seeing simple reviews of these devices which do not even include basic NAS performance information ... Look at the size, ports, open source etc.
    I had high hopes from Phoronix especially as the review states the Phoronix test suite runs but yet again no metrics !
    Well, if Michael hasn't returned it (I'm assuming it's a review sample), he might still be able to run some numbers on it. The fun part will be finding something equivalent to compare it to. Maybe an Atom netbook/nettop running Ubuntu 9.04 for comparison. Once a comparison machine is found, a bunch of NAS/apache/DB benchmarks might be nice to have. Even something as simple as "how fast can you upload/download files over the gigabit network port from a client PC. I'm going to assume it's bottle-necked by the USB 2.0 read/write speed.

And a random question:
    This device runs Ubuntu 9.04, and people have mentioned it can be flashed to Gentoo. How hard would it be to upgrade this device to Ubuntu 10.04?

Leave a comment:

• anwars99
    replied
    Will we ever get Performance Metrics ...

...for these Marvell based devices ? I am tired of seeing simple reviews of these devices which do not even include basic NAS performance information ... Look at the size, ports, open source etc.
    I had high hopes from Phoronix especially as the review states the Phoronix test suite runs but yet again no metrics !

Leave a comment:

• rehabdoll
    replied
    Originally posted by Sadako View Post
    Still waiting for someone to make one of these things with two ethernet ports, it'd give them a whole new range of uses...
    Somebody already has. The Guruplug+ has two gbit interfaces, esata, bluetooth, wifi + other goodies. It does however suffer from overheating and other issues. So in other words i cant really recommend one at this time. Hopefully these issues will be solved in future revisions.

Leave a comment:

• yerfdogyrag
    replied
    I've had a TonidoPlug for a few months now and I really like the thing. To be honest, I ended up removing their software pretty quickly and just have it as a household server. It runs squeezecenter nicely for having house-wide music, it backs up my desktop machines and serves photos. I also have it grabbing caller-id data from my PAP2 and displaying it on the squeezeboxes. Fun toy :-).

I did try and have it run pyTivo to serve video to my tivo, but it was only able to encode about 4-5 FPS with ffmpeg. Go figure :-).

Gary Godfrey
    Austin, TX

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by sylware View Post
    Missing:
    - IPv6 support
    - XMPP server
    - SMTP server
    - POP/IMAP server
    Not hard to add, really. You can re-flash it like the PogoPlug/SheevaPlug (since it's the same thing)- but they'd imaged it with just what they're selling/supporting.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by sylware View Post
    Missing:
    - IPv6 support
    - XMPP server
    - SMTP server
    - POP/IMAP server
    As far I know, Sheeva Plugs and their derivatives can run Gentoo Linux, which has all of those things as options, so you can install those things yourself.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sadako View Post
    Still waiting for someone to make one of these things with two ethernet ports, it'd give them a whole new range of uses...
    Plug a usb ethernet adapter into a hub.

Leave a comment:

• Sadako
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    This is just so tiny! By this rate, in a few years computers will come in the form of stamps

Leave a comment:

• sylware
    replied
    IPv6? XMPP? SMTP? POP/IMAP?

Missing:
    - IPv6 support
    - XMPP server
    - SMTP server
    - POP/IMAP server

Leave a comment:

Working...
X