Using NVIDIA's VDPAU On Mobile Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    DEANJO! that looks like a windows screenshot to me!

You traitor!
    Hey like many other applications at times there is no linux equivalent (besides, I'm at work and wine won't run Suniedo).

Comment

I certainly hope Android gets this soon, the Old Republic trailer bitrate brings my Droid to its knees. It would be a fantastic demo for the screen, but that CPU just can't keep up with it at *ALL*. Usually it gets about a third in, drops every frame for a few seconds, resume, then hit another part and lag, and then it says "Sorry, this video cannot be played" or some such nonsense. This message is beautifully and translucently composited over the video while it continues to try to struggle with the rest of it ANYWAYS. What?!

Maybe it should say "Sorry, this machine is trying to decode video on a single 550MHz ARM core instead of this gpu that can apparently handle google earth and NeoCore at 21 FPS. Maybe some day someone will think this through better."

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        Maybe it should say "Sorry, this machine is trying to decode video on a single 550MHz ARM core instead of this gpu that can apparently handle google earth and NeoCore at 21 FPS. Maybe some day someone will think this through better."
        I think a better message would be "Wha?!? You want me to do what? Are you fscking kidding me? Get real!"

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I think a better message would be "Wha?!? You want me to do what? Are you fscking kidding me? Get real!"
          "Play VIDEO? OH GOD NO!!"

Droid DOES have a GIANT SCREEN but it can't begin to handle the BITRATE of video to make good use of it.

Comment

"Play VIDEO? OH GOD NO!!"

Droid DOES have a GIANT SCREEN but it can't begin to handle the BITRATE of video to make good use of it.
            Well once some android phones start coming out with Tegra it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Well once some android phones start coming out with Tegra it shouldn't be a problem.
              The hardware can handle this NOW. The problem is that the decoding is being done on the _wrong_ chip (or portion of it, if it's on one die).

Comment

Just give me a portable android device running tegra using vdpau and a port of xbmc for the device and I would be in heaven, true 1080p output on the go with a awesome UI (which just cries for a touch interface). One thing I really like about XBMC right now is that you can use it for HD youtube playback utilizing vdpau.

Comment

All these benchmark articles need to state what test data (ie, what video file) they're using. And none of the graphs are labeled on the x-axis. I assume it's time in the video, but who can be sure if it's not stated?

Comment

Maybe it should say "Sorry, it appears you've mistaken this mobile for an N900. Dream on!."
                    There, FTFY.

Comment

Sorry, but these benchmarks are crap, for several reasons.

First (*), using CPU-based decoding, the file does not play in realtime. No word about that in the article; it almost looks like the author failed to notice or understand it.
                      The Atom 330 (not N330, which does not exist, by the way) is a dual-core w/ SMT and appears as 4 logical cores. This means 25% CPU load in the graph represent full load on one core. The other cores are not used at all - MPlayer is single-threaded.

Second, hardware accelerated colorspace conversion should be activated when gl2 is used for best results. The suboption "yuv=2" does that.

Third, knowing (*) it doesn't make sense to compare power consumption.

Fourth, the sample is very low on bitrate. Please use a somewhat more demanding sample. Try this, for example: http://www.stfcc.org/misc/SAMPLE-Clo...264-CtrlHD.mkv

Comment

Working...
                      X