• Show
Clear All

• yotambien
    replied
    Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
    After "ItIsBetterWithWondows" campaign [...]
    That was a hoax.

Originally posted by Apopas
    Advertise means to propagandise the benefits of your products, not to FUD against the competitors ones.
    I'm not picky with english, only with language: "propagandise" is not "advertise".

By the way, the FSF knows a couple of things about mud throwing, only that in their case these are not urban legends.

Originally posted by Apopas
    The first one is an accetable advertise for deanjo while the second one is an insult to Apopas and that's what Asus did. So no, while I won't agree against the Phoronix Asus reviews like some proposed, I won't buy Asus products again since they didn't advertise but insulted (even with lies in some cases).
    Unfortunately the hoax site is down so I can't take a closer look at it myself. The funny thing is that, even according to what I could gather from sites belonging to very-angry-people, the whole thing was nothing out of the cosmos:

"Windows helps you easily get online and connect to your devices and services - without dealing with an unfamiliar environment or major compatiblity issues."
    If this sentence is the highlight, some people should really have a sanity check. I wonder who could disagree with this after reading what Mr Larabel had to do to get wireless working on his brand new netbook.

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm
    replied
    I have a full KDE4 desktop, with everything but compositing.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Yeah it always depends on the kind of software you run. For example with Linux you can turn off eye candy and even run a light blackbox desktop. This helps a lot to conserve energy.

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm
    replied
    Battery life isn't always worse with Linux. I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with a 9cell battery that got around 5:00 to 5:30 with Windows Vista and now that I have switched to Linux it just about always gets 5:30.

Leave a comment:

• mgc8
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    maybe you run ubuntu which is in 3d mode all the time because of compiz.
    This is irrelevant, simply because I am comparing against Vista Ultimate with Aero and all effects turned on. If that consumes less power than Linux, I'd say there was a problem... sure, it may be with the distro, the kernel, the DE or whatever else, but that doesn't mean developers shouldn't try to track it -- that's all I was saying. I would actually like to see some battery life comparisons between various distros (and various versions of the same) against Windows and MacOS here on Phoronix, so far other sites put Mac clearly at the top, followed by Win and then Linux...

Leave a comment:

• gildea
    replied
    I would like to see reviews of portables include the weight to the nearest 25g. It's very hard to tell weight from manufacturers' sites, because you never know what they are weighing. But Phoronix reviews are very clear about the exact hardware configuration under review.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    As well it would have been nice to see the battery life comparison xv vs vdpau.
    There already is, but it's not published yet, it was moved into a separate article.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    And yes! I would like to see as well soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use.
    Doesn't even have to be that complicated, just a simple feature list for netbooks/laptops/nettops in the article.

Code:
    Device              |      Supported    |    Module  Used   |     Kernel Support or External Module

Webcam                     Yes                       [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2]GSPCA             Built-in
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Asus is simply marketing to what the majority of computer users expect when they purchase a new machine.
    Advertise means to propagandise the benefits of your products, not to FUD against the competitors ones.
    Is a different thing to say "prefer deanjo because he's the best" and totally different to say "prefer deanjo over Apopas, because Apopas sucks".
    The first one is an accetable advertise for deanjo while the second one is an insult to Apopas and that's what Asus did. So no, while I won't agree against the Phoronix Asus reviews like some proposed, I won't buy Asus products again since they didn't advertise but insulted (even with lies in some cases).

And yes! I would like to see as well soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    I also have to add I would have like to seen a few more things in the article such as soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use. As well it would have been nice to see the battery life comparison xv vs vdpau.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X