No announcement yet.

ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest to run nvidia-settings - powermizer tab and then enable compiz. As soon as i enable compiz then the card does not stay long in powerlevel 0 (135/135) - it runs in powerlevel 2 (full speed) as soon as there are some effects used - when you don't move your fingers it may go back to 0 but every effect will use much more energy.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
      No, I just say it kind of inappropriate to advertise someone that "insults" you and more important with LIES. If you allow such behavior, you might expose yourself to even more serious problems.
      Thing is it remains a fact that for many netbooks to take full advantage of them you do need to use Windows, (thanks to the pulsbo chipsets). It is no secret that Windows does offer better battery life, compatibility with the hardware (especially when first purchased). Asus is simply marketing to what the majority of computer users expect when they purchase a new machine.

Comment

I also have to add I would have like to seen a few more things in the article such as soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use. As well it would have been nice to see the battery life comparison xv vs vdpau.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Asus is simply marketing to what the majority of computer users expect when they purchase a new machine.
          Advertise means to propagandise the benefits of your products, not to FUD against the competitors ones.
          Is a different thing to say "prefer deanjo because he's the best" and totally different to say "prefer deanjo over Apopas, because Apopas sucks".
          The first one is an accetable advertise for deanjo while the second one is an insult to Apopas and that's what Asus did. So no, while I won't agree against the Phoronix Asus reviews like some proposed, I won't buy Asus products again since they didn't advertise but insulted (even with lies in some cases).

And yes! I would like to see as well soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            And yes! I would like to see as well soundcard webcam / external display / bluetooth verified compatibility and what modules they use.
            Doesn't even have to be that complicated, just a simple feature list for netbooks/laptops/nettops in the article.

Code:
            Device              |      Supported    |    Module  Used   |     Kernel Support or External Module

Webcam                     Yes                       [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2]GSPCA             Built-in
            [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              As well it would have been nice to see the battery life comparison xv vs vdpau.
              There already is, but it's not published yet, it was moved into a separate article.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would like to see reviews of portables include the weight to the nearest 25g. It's very hard to tell weight from manufacturers' sites, because you never know what they are weighing. But Phoronix reviews are very clear about the exact hardware configuration under review.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  maybe you run ubuntu which is in 3d mode all the time because of compiz.
                  This is irrelevant, simply because I am comparing against Vista Ultimate with Aero and all effects turned on. If that consumes less power than Linux, I'd say there was a problem... sure, it may be with the distro, the kernel, the DE or whatever else, but that doesn't mean developers shouldn't try to track it -- that's all I was saying. I would actually like to see some battery life comparisons between various distros (and various versions of the same) against Windows and MacOS here on Phoronix, so far other sites put Mac clearly at the top, followed by Win and then Linux...

Comment

Battery life isn't always worse with Linux. I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with a 9cell battery that got around 5:00 to 5:30 with Windows Vista and now that I have switched to Linux it just about always gets 5:30.

Comment

Yeah it always depends on the kind of software you run. For example with Linux you can turn off eye candy and even run a light blackbox desktop. This helps a lot to conserve energy.

Comment

Working...
                      X