No announcement yet.

Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting read. Though IMO all in all, every distro was quite the same.

Comment

I think the review is totally unfair!!!!

All OS accept ext4 or ext3 FS, so, why not to run all test on the same filesystem, this way results are not filesystem dependant.

Yeah, i know that on some distributions you can't choose ext4 on installation process. But i think this is a feature not implemented yet, with a little work you can convert ext3 to ext4 and run the test.

Comment

Yes, most glaring was that ext4 performed better than etx3

Comment

Thanks for this test, and of course as the Moblin depeloper says, some more tests may be added
          boot times
          - suspend/resume times
          - total battery life while idle
          - battery life while performing netbook-typical tasks, such as:
          + browsing webpages inclusing flash
          + perhaps watching youtube/hulu videos
          + skypeing

I think it is a good idea to add this tests to Phoronix test suite

Comment

@sofar

That's not correct. Vbox is even able to handle Compiz for Linux guest (with Xserver 1.5+). What i mean is what you see when you do

df -h

Then you will notice that no aufs overlay is used which is only restricted by tmpfs but some other way which relies on a creation time settings. Best is to compare that against Fedora.

Also i would like to know how to stop Moblin from tring to start X as user. That only works with Intel onboard. I don't know why it is so impossible hard to implement at least a working VESA fallback, it does not matter if you can not do fancy 3d stuff with it which i don't need anyway. Of course it would be nice to get vbox addons installed later in order to get mouse integration, screen resizing and if needed even 3d.

Comment

The correct why would be:

a) Check in the initrd for Intel VGA, that's definitely trivial. If not there do:

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/Xorg

then X will start.

b) Use a bigger virtual filesystem, why not 3 gb? currently it is fixed to 2 gb with 131 mb free, even with more ram available it is impossible to use more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @sofar

Also i would like to know how to stop Moblin from tring to start X as user. That only works with Intel onboard.
                ATI is just about there as well with KMS etc...

are you really wanting to run MORE stuff as setuid root and consider it a good idea??

Comment

As long as vesa requires it - or use just a fallback that works. You can do that on the fly in the initrd for live mode. It is definitely a very bad thing when you use vbox and see just a black screen. What about increasing the filesystem for live mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    The correct why would be:

a) Check in the initrd .

what initrd??

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      I think the review is totally unfair!!!!

All OS accept ext4 or ext3 FS, so, why not to run all test on the same filesystem, this way results are not filesystem dependant.

Yeah, i know that on some distributions you can't choose ext4 on installation process. But i think this is a feature not implemented yet, with a little work you can convert ext3 to ext4 and run the test.
                      The tests represent an "out of the box" experience.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X