Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moblin 2.1 Officially Released With Improvements

Phoronix: Moblin 2.1 Officially Released With Improvements

In September during the Intel Developer Forum we learned that Moblin 2.1 would be coming in Q4'09 (just one quarter after the 2.0 release) and would present the Moblin Application Installer, Moblin Garage, and other improvements. Sure enough, Moblin 2.1 has arrived now and it's only the middle of the fourth quarter. Last month we provided a Moblin 2.1 preview, but to reiterate some of the key features there is the Moblin Garage (effectively an "app store" for this mobile-oriented distribution), Clutter 1.0 integration, Bluetooth device support, improved connection management, localization support, and even a much-improved web-browser. While Moblin has traditionally been focused for Atom-powered netbooks, Moblin 2.1 will also work with "nettops", or the less-portable, mini-desktop systems running with an Intel Atom processor and similar specifications to the netbooks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if it supports the ethernet in the EEE PC 1005ha yet.

Comment

Im thinking Moblin could be a popular choice for Intel CULV notebooks with Intel GMA X4500mhd graphics too.
      Was not that pleasant to use Ubuntu 9.10 on a Compaq Presario CQ60 with Intel gpu.
      In Windows OS games where "playable" but under linux its jst sad when you try starting a game.
      But im not that good with tweaking and stuff so that may be why it is so slow.

Comment

net* computers are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
          net* computers are useless.
          but your computer is networked!?

Comment

What I mean was "netbooks" and "nettops"

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
              What I mean was "netbooks" and "nettops"
              Yes, because whatever would you do with 6+ hours of battery life, very good portability, integrated wireless, and enough 3D for retro gaming, all for under $500?

If I had an NC10, it'd serve me as an on-the-go hackmobile and emulator-playing device.

Seriously, the GNU/Linux crowd benefits from netbooks the most, because while others are trying to shoehorn Vista onto them, we can slap on Arch and have it outrace full-fledged desktops running Winblows

Comment

Back on the subject, does anyone know whether there's a way to disable the stupid touchpad thing in Moblin? I downloaded the live CD to try it out on a laptop and it's basically unusable because the slightest touch on the touchpad is being interpreted as pressing a mouse button (it's the first thing I disable any time I get a new laptop).

Comment

Working...
                X