Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which netbook to buy, AMD Yukon + Radeon 1250 or Celeron M ULV + GMA 4500 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which netbook to buy, AMD Yukon + Radeon 1250 or Celeron M ULV + GMA 4500 ?

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a netbook. The two best options available for me are MSI U210X and MSI U200X. The key differences are CPU, GPU and price.
    MSI U210X has AMD Yukon MV40 (1.6 GHz) and ATI Radeon 1250,
    MSI U200X has Intel Celeron M ULV 723B (1.2 GHz) and Intel GMA 4500 MHD.
    MSI U200X costs ~100$ more
    I tend to buy U210X. I think Yukon + 1250 is better than Celeron + 4500. I know 1250 is no longer supported by AMD, but open source drivers should be fine for it.
    Which one would you recommend?

Either way it will count as customer demand for Windows in MSI's marketing statistics. I'd suggest a Dellbuntu.

But between those two, according to the numbers here, the one with the Radeon should get better gaming FPS (which might translate to better performance in other applications?). But it also has a shorter battery life. I dunno about the CPUs.

Comment

hes right. Is it going to play a big role in what you stand for? I needed a backpack today and ended up going home empty because they are all made in china. I flat out refuse to buy Chinese products whenever possible. Some people feel the same way about buying oem windows. If you dont care, buy the msi u210x, but do us all a favour and send a letter to msi showing your intent to use linux. It sounds silly and it is, but its just a dollar and it helps people get the hint. People disregard emails so when you send something physical it means a hell of alot more .

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        I needed a backpack today and ended up going home empty because they are all made in china. I flat out refuse to buy Chinese products whenever possible.
        Good for you!!!

Comment

Hi StringCheesian,

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
          Either way it will count as customer demand for Windows in MSI's marketing statistics. I'd suggest a Dellbuntu.
          I'm going to buy it with Linux preinstalled, not Windows. I know on MSI site they mention only Windows. But in Ukraine (my country) those netbooks are sold also with Linux OS: U210X and U200X (I also called the seller to ensure the data on their site is correct and the OS is Linux indeed). In my initial post I provided links to MSI site (and not to the local seller) just because I suspect not many people here understand Ukrainian language

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
          But between those two, according to the numbers here, the one with the Radeon should get better gaming FPS (which might translate to better performance in other applications?). But it also has a shorter battery life. I dunno about the CPUs.
          Already checked there, but those are Windows only numbers

Comment

Hi L33F3R,

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            hes right. Is it going to play a big role in what you stand for? I needed a backpack today and ended up going home empty because they are all made in china. I flat out refuse to buy Chinese products whenever possible.
            I use a lot of Chinese (and Taiwanese) products. And I'm satisfied with their quality.

Some people feel the same way about buying oem windows. If you dont care, buy the msi u210x, but do us all a favour and send a letter to msi showing your intent to use linux. It sounds silly and it is, but its just a dollar and it helps people get the hint. People disregard emails so when you send something physical it means a hell of alot more .
            I know the $$ is the only thing manufacturers actually listen to. That's why I'm buying a netbook with Linux and not Windows (please, see my previous reply)

Comment

good good. the msi system suits well. I could use 1 myself.

Comment

I've finally bought it. U210X has AMD Yukon MV40 (1.6 GHz) and ATI Radeon 1250. And.. I like it
                I'm developing some applications for Android (and run Android emulator). U210X is suitable for those tasks.

P.S. U210X goes with SLED.
                P.P.S. My SLED died on the first start. I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it works like a charm.
                P.P.P.S. MSI has a bad habit of shipping their netbooks with crappy Wi-Fi cards. MSI really should reconsider this policy.

Comment

Originally posted by uaaquarius View Post
                  Hi L33F3R,

I use a lot of Chinese (and Taiwanese) products. And I'm satisfied with their quality.
                  somehow i don't think this is about quality, but more about abuses of human rights in china.

---rant---

it is quite strange which products we ascribe a moral value to. we don't consider it odd if someone decides to spend 1 EUR/pound/dollar more on a packet of fair-trade coffee---we're quite happy to give the poor coffee farmers in bolivia or where ever 1 EUR/pound/dollar for their work, but when it comes to spending 30000 EUR/pound/dollar on a new car, only very few people wonder where different parts of the car come from and where the money flows to.

---end rant---

Comment

Originally posted by howlingmadhowie View Post
                    somehow i don't think this is about quality, but more about abuses of human rights in china.
                    In this case there is virtually no country which products you should buy.

Comment

Working...
                    X