Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype 2.1 Beta Brings New Features To Linux

Phoronix: Skype 2.1 Beta Brings New Features To Linux

For anyone that extensively uses Skype on Linux, you will probably want to head on over to the Linux Skype Developer page to fetch the latest beta. Skype has just rolled out the first 2.1 beta (2.1.0.47 Beta) of the Linux Skype client, which adds several new features and also brings a number of fixes and other improvements. The new Skype Linux features are high quality video codec support, Skype's SILK audio codec support, PulseAudio compatibility, SMS sending support, chat messaging editing/removing capabilities, contact groups support, typing notification in chat, chat picture support, mood messages, video/mobile icons are now visible in the contact list along with bookmarked chats, and also added are contact labels/tags. Beyond these key features to Skype 2.1 for Linux, the beta release also brings a number of improvements ranging from better ALSA support (including USB headsets) to an enlarged tray icon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I do a conference with 3 people the audio goes crazy. I had to switch back to the OLD 2.0 series.

Skype is silly, and reminds me of another proprietary software under linux. Guess the name.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      If I do a conference with 3 people the audio goes crazy. I had to switch back to the OLD 2.0 series.

Skype is silly, and reminds me of another proprietary software under linux. Guess the name.
      nero linux?

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        nero linux?
        Say what you will but nero linux burns DL and Bluray media far more reliable then K3b and kin.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

Yup Nero Linux... the best way to waste your money under Linux...

Comment

I'm glad that at least they are clearly still working on it. In the last version (2.0.72) only skype-static-oss worked ootb in Karmic. This new beta works OK so far, and finally supports pulse.

Skype is the only proprietary software I use right now (besides a broadcom wifi binary). If a proprietary game stops working with your system you can move on, but it sucks if it's an application you use every day.
            I can just hope that one of two things happen:
            Skype becomes increasingly popular and the protocol is eventually reverse engineered.
            Skype starts charging, making it easier to move everyone to a free alternative.

Please feel free to ignore my rant :P

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Say what you will but nero linux burns DL and Bluray media far more reliable then K3b and kin.
              lol i dont notice a difference. I just said the first proprietary linux software that came to mind

Comment

I'm not really into big brother spying on me via Skype.
                http://www.stormfront.org/forum/arch.../t-542267.html

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                  I'm glad that at least they are clearly still working on it. In the last version (2.0.72) only skype-static-oss worked ootb in Karmic. This new beta works OK so far, and finally supports pulse.
                  Agreed, I already thought they silently dropped Linux support. Nice to hear they care at least a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
                    I'm not really into big brother spying on me via Skype.
                    http://www.stormfront.org/forum/arch.../t-542267.html
                    Oh, the classic "any software whose source code isn't in the open can contain backdoors!" claim. If there was a backdoor in Skype, it'd probably be in the network itself, not the client software.
                    ps. That post is just slightly incoherent. Sources hidden, facts obscured, would make a very bad article.

Comment

Working...
                    X