No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Firefox May Gain JPEG 2000 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding APNG, Mozilla developers proposed it for inclusion in libpng, but got laughed out of the PNG group. The sole maintainer of the libpng APNG patches decided to stop working on it last year. Browser support for APNG is limited to Opera and Mozilla based browsers (except Debian Iceweasel and other Linux distros that build against system libpng instead of the Mozilla internal one).

Application support for MNG seems more widespread than APNG. Browser support is worse, although contrary to what has been claimed, Konqueror is a modern browser which supports MNG.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Regarding JPEG 2000, it has some advantages over JPEG, eg. alpha transparency. The Wikipeda article has all details.
      Wow, I actually had no idea it could do that.

Kind of funny that Mozilla are worried about patents in JPEG 2000. I don't remember seeing them rushing to remove animated GIF support when Unisys started suing people left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
        Kind of funny that Mozilla are worried about patents in JPEG 2000. I don't remember seeing them rushing to remove animated GIF support when Unisys started suing people left and right.
        Probably because those patents expired before Firefox had its first release.

Comment

Tell me.. Why bother having a Jpeg 2000 format if no one uses it? This should have been done AGES ago...

Comment

I thought the image format wars were over about 10 years ago...
            and what advantages does it have over PNG?

Comment

just use konqueror people. Firefox is badly ported windows software anyway.

About patents: submarine patents are a problem everywhere. This can only be changed, if the us patent office would finally wake up and ban/nullify all software related patents.

everywhere corrupt politicians try to introduce software patents - despite the fact that it is toxic for all and every kind of advancement

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                Probably because those patents expired before Firefox had its first release.
                You do know what Mozilla is, right? The MNG farce extends back long before Firefox existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                  You do know what Mozilla is, right? The MNG farce extends back long before Firefox existed.
                  Yes, I know what Mozilla is, but I assumed he was only talking about Firefox, since back in the Netscape days, they could have easily had a license for GIF, and not enough people used vanilla Mozilla back in the day to make it a worthwhile target to sue. Plus, GIF was a lot more widespread back then than JPEG2000 is now, making it more important to support.

Or maybe the guy who developed JPEG2000 drove over one of the Mozilla developer's cats, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    just use konqueror people.
                    Konqueror totally sucks. Well, for me at least.

Comment

Firefox 2 with its weird slow GTK emulation sucked harder than Konqueror did. It's a shame Konqueror hasn't done much since then, if it had an extension API (preferably not limited to JS) I'd use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X