Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Talks Up A RISC-V Octa-Core Laptop

Phoronix: Ubuntu Talks Up A RISC-V Octa-Core Laptop

Ubuntu maker Canonical put out a news release today around the DC-ROMA RISC-V Laptop II that is an octa-core RISC-V laptop shipping soon with Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do they support secure boot or measured boot?

Comment

Isn't that this NFT crypto BS notebook that turned out to be not actually existing

Comment

I wouldn't buy a laptop for a niche architecture that lacks upstream graphics drivers.

You can ignore the price and ignore the fact that this is clearly worse than other modern laptops but how do you ignore the fact that driver development could be abandoned at any moment?
        If that happens, as often is the case with all of these random embedded platforms, you're left with nothing. If you're lucky somebody would make a reverse engineered Mesa driver for it but that itself would probably be a hobbyist project and take a long time to get stable. It's not a compelling sell.

Comment

I'm a big fan of RISC-V but how about two cores that don't completely suck??

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            Isn't that this NFT crypto BS notebook that turned out to be not actually existing
            What's really funny is that the reason it was marketed as a crypto mining capable laptop is because it was the first(?) laptop to have an integrated NPU (4 TOPS I think it was?) but the AI thing hasn't happened yet so no one (in the west) figured out what it was for.

Anyhow, the K1 is pretty weak and this will end up being too expensive but at least it supports rvv 1.0 and we know the company can deliver since it did so last time.

Originally posted by Type44Q View Post
            I'm a big fan of RISC-V but how about two cores that don't completely suck??
            There's always a few processes idling in the background (systemd... lightdm... literally pages of them actually...) that are better off running on low-power weak cores to save some power at least.
            Last edited by c117152; 13 June 2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post
              I wouldn't buy a laptop for a niche architecture that lacks upstream graphics drivers.

You can ignore the price and ignore the fact that this is clearly worse than other modern laptops but how do you ignore the fact that driver development could be abandoned at any moment?
              If that happens, as often is the case with all of these random embedded platforms, you're left with nothing. If you're lucky somebody would make a reverse engineered Mesa driver for it but that itself would probably be a hobbyist project and take a long time to get stable. It's not a compelling sell.
              This, again.

And then there is the whole absurdity of selling "openness" while the GPU drivers are proprietary.

Comment

Looking forward to not buying one.

I wonder what the over and under is on how many they sell, +/- 0.5?

I wonder if FanDuel will take my action on this?

Comment

It is time to legislatively ban the sale of new laptops with resolution FullHD and less.

Comment

No trackpoint? They never understand…

Comment

Working...
                    X