Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackiwid
    replied
    I wonder when Notebooks start to get mechanical keyboards, there are flat mechanical keys so I do not get why no vendor offers it, there are 1-2 gaming notebooks from MSI I remember that has it, but I want a business like device.

It's crazy they focus on touchpads on displays like partially oled with 3000 Dollar and more prices partially but have a keyboard that looks like from a chewing gun automate, I can't take serious... and then testers claim this keyboards with 0 hub with half size keys mostly for arrow keys but also bad right ctrl keys or no such thing bad F-keys etc, they call that "good keyboard".

Now Lenovo still don't delivers that, but they have bigger hub, and older models had function keys on top now sure with my 12,1" you also have no perfect keyboard the size is not unlimited but they don't think they need a head sized touchpad because they target only mouse users and those are better served with think-point anyway.

3:2 seems interesting maybe it can serve both big size for keyboard and a big touch pad and mostly because the display dimensions are probably better to work with, especially for business notebooks, that said many still want to use it to play movies a lot of time there it's useless or bad.

Again I rather have a ips display or not the biggest resolution if I can get a nice keyboard for fucks sake I even drive a X220 except I am not mobile a lot anyway, I am just to stingy to order a replacement keyboard of the Japanese layout (with more thumb keys) because it's pretty expensive and obviously I think of replacing it at some point the TN Panel with low resolution is obviously sub optimal.

If this new Qualcomm devices could come cheap with mechanical keyboard I would consider it, I don't necessarily need much CPU power. But instead they will come with touch screen and this typical garbage keyboards.

They totally get it for desktop PCs that people want this mechanical that they pay 100-200 Euro extra to get it on a mass scale, now sure not >50% but a huge minority buys them like there is no tomorrow also especially lot's of developers, and who buys business Notebooks? Developers maybe? And if they think that for this 2000 dollar devices nobody wants to pay the 50 dollar maybe extra, make it a build option so you have the crappy keyboard by default and have your competitive prices.

Probably because they are totally obsesses to make this things as thin as a paper... because that is the biggest priority of all consumers in their mind...

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by akarypid View Post

Do they do this only for Thinkpad models or is there hope for the Yoga line? I have the 2024 Yoga Pro 9i and have run into some issues https://github.com/karypid/YogaPro-16IMH9/issues and wonder if there is any hope they might get fixed. Especially the battery charge-level control issues...
    Lenovo in my experience tends to care less so about more consumer oriented devices running Linux. T series, P series, X series, and X1 series normally have great support-- which I wish I knew before I bought an E series... There is a great ThinkPad community on Reddit that talks about Linux, there may even be a Linux on ThinkPad group on there if I recall. ThinkPad Yoga might have some support but plain Yoga line isn't a business or professional line so they may have cut corners.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by akarypid View Post

Do they do this only for Thinkpad models or is there hope for the Yoga line? I have the 2024 Yoga Pro 9i and have run into some issues https://github.com/karypid/YogaPro-16IMH9/issues and wonder if there is any hope they might get fixed. Especially the battery charge-level control issues...
    Doesn't look like it. Here is their list of Linux compatible devices: https://www.lenovo.com/linux

Leave a comment:

• akarypid
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Thinkpad is also good with their Linux support.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This patch seems to be from a third-party developer. Does LG even care about Linux?

I would avoid any LG laptop, I don't think LG even cares about Linux, sure the laptop might still work thanks to the outstanding work of third-party developers who fix support in their spare time, but I would rather purchase a laptop from a vendor that cares about Linux.

Much better to buy from System76, Framework Computer, Tuxedo Computers or Dell.
    Thinkpad is also good with their Linux support.

Leave a comment:

• patrakov
    replied
    Much better to buy from System76, Framework Computer, Tuxedo Computers...
    Please wake me up when at least one model with touchscreen and stylus support is available from any of them. User-upgradeable memory is also a requirement.

...or Dell.

I'm writing this from my Dell Inspiron 7415. Sadly, it needs to be replaced (due to machine check errors—apparently, one CPU core became broken), and I don't know any alternative. Apparently, all 2-in-1 laptops now have soldered memory.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    This patch seems to be from a third-party developer. Does LG even care about Linux?
    Yes, but only on TV's (webOS is based on Linux).

Leave a comment:

• ktecho
    replied

I would avoid any LG laptop, I don't think LG even cares about Linux, sure the laptop might still work thanks to the outstanding work of third-party developers who fix support in their spare time, but I would rather purchase a laptop from a vendor that cares about Linux.

Yes, totally agree. I have a 2023 one and we have to apply a few workarounds. Also, it's VERY light because it basically doesn't have a cooler, so fans are on even with very light web browsing. The CPU goes from 45° to 95° in less than a second, and work very light tasks...

I have put a maximum frequency cap at 70%, and on this way it's mostly usable.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I really liked my 2019 LG Gram, but the keyboard was appalling to type on for more than a few words. If the newer models are better, it might be worth looking at them again...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X