Framework Announces Intel Core Ultra Powered Laptop With 2.8k Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Announces Intel Core Ultra Powered Laptop With 2.8k Display

Phoronix: Framework Announces Intel Core Ultra Powered Laptop With 2.8k Display

Framework is out today with some exciting announcements from lowering the price of the existing Framework 13 with AMD Ryzen 7040 series SoC to announcing a new Framework Laptop 13 powered by Intel Core Ultra (Meteor Lake) and having a new 2.8K display option for this modular/upgradeable laptop shipping this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While it's not great to see them target Linux as a special boy that needs a special display because the boy has issues learning how to scale... It's still awesome to hear the amount of details they work on to make the Linux experience better. Kudos!

PS. No Windows key! No Copilot key! Let's gooooo!

Comment

Ok, but I still can't buy it.

Comment

Anything other than the black bezel will make those rounded screen corners stick out like a sore thumb. Hopefully they'll make bezels that fit in more

Comment

While display is better than before, still $400($1700+) more tnan lenovo t14(p14s)(~$1300) with OLED screen with the same specs(amd version) and less ports.
          Last edited by Shtirlic; 29 May 2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post
            While display is better than before, still $400($1700+) more tnan lenovo t14(p14s)(~$1300) with OLED screen with the same specs(amd version) and less ports.
            No small volume boutique builder is ever going to be truly price competitive with Lenovo / HP / Dell. Those companies sell several orders of magnitude more machines. They have low margins but high volume. Companies like Framework just need to get "close enough" on price, that the unique stuff they bring to the table convinces people to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post
              The Framework has nearly 10Wh more battery and the screen is brighter with a higher refresh rate (at least these things matter to me). You can get it a bit cheaper, if you don't buy RAM, SSD and the power adapter from framework.
              And like @pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2​ already said, you pay extra for small production volume and the whole framework philosophy.

Comment

Yay, more machines they can fail to support post sale….

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
                  Yay, more machines they can fail to support post sale….
                  It's more helpful to share your experience than to just make a blanket claim.

Comment

I do not understand the race for hidpi especially on notebooks and even more so on something like fw13!

already my og fw13 iirc I have it scaled 150%, and even my 27" desktop 1440p scaled 125%!

Worse why do you want those pathetic iGPUs working harder to push more pixels?! Sure, iGPUs are MUCH better than they used to be, but, they're still bandwidth and otherwise constrained, and driving such a high pixel display further reduces their usefulness!

And Imma gonna guess higher DPI displays suck more power -> impacting battery runtime...

(and yes I do NOT enjoy having to scale ANY of my displays to make them readable, as to me thats just a waste.... in the case of the 27" 1440p I though that Id be OK at 100% but no. setting a globabl scaling worked best...

Both the fw13 and desktop are running plasma 6, and the desktop plasma 5.27 earlier... they mostly work well scaling. kwin_wayland, bot are intel graphics, desktop a770, and notebook iris xe2 (iirc) gfx which is proto alchemist(?) its the 1165g7 'soc' IIRC(may as well call mobile chips socs, and realistically desktop cpus are pretty much socs as well nowadays...or at least after a fashion...)

AMD mobile chips are monolithic as IIRC are the Intel mobile chips v. amd desktop are chiplets + iodie(s)/intel monolithic again...) I may have gotten AMD terminology incorrect but I don't follow that closely, other than being surprised that mobile chips are monolithic rather than chiplet(s) + iodie, although Imma guessing iodie is the problem for mobile as IIRC iodie uses quite a bit of power even at idle... whereas monolithic mobile can idle at MUCH lower power......
                    Last edited by cutterjohn; 29 May 2024, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X