Linux 6.10 To Support Sound On ASUS ROG 2024 Laptops, Lenovo ThinkPad 13X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

ASUS and Linux? Sorry, this is my last ASUS product at home... I can't escape them at work thou.
    They wrote me once that there is WSL so there is no need for Linux any more... Sure, go run WSL on your routers, then (;

I have stopped buying from them, but I'm afraid that other vendors may go the same route, no doubt Microsoft will enthusiastically support that with their money and certification procedures. I think this should be banned somehow, either under anti-trust or right-to-repair law, but my hopes are slim.

Comment

I have an asus 'tuf gaming' motherboard from 2020 and it hasn't really given me any problems with sound, temperature sensors, wireless connectivity or other kinds of drivers. OEM provided utilities like armory crate look janky as hell so I avoid them like the plague. I'm surprised theres still modern hardware that doesn't have full driver support for GNU/Linux, all the hardware that I've encountered had no issues running mainstream distributions either out of the box or with a third party driver like nvidia.
      Last edited by Abacus123; 05 May 2024, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Sorry, have two Asus laptops (the "AMD Advantage" laptop - what a lie that was) and an ultraportable with easily one of the best screens I've ever used... and a keyboard which is surprisingly decent for a lightweight laptop, a little rattly, however almost feels mechanical (but I know it's not)... but I'm never buying one again. Ignoring the "Any Key to Shut Down" issues, well. Their motherboards are usually fairly solid (note: I did say "usually") but their software stack needs to be exorcised, burnt to ashes, and the ground used to burn it salted before a final exorcism.

But I supposed I should give them some credit: at least it doesn't require an online account just to work... yet.

Comment

Asus has always had a severe hate on for Linux... or anything except Gates/Ballmer blessed Windows. I refuse to buy anything that goes into my computers from them. Stick with Asroc for great Linux support.

I will say, just picked up a Lenovo T16 a couple of weeks ago and the Linux support is phenomenal. Installed Kubuntu on it and everything just worked out of the box (other then a secure boot snafu).

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

AI is a buzzword for a lot of companies at this point
            If it flips a variable based on a condition, call it AI!

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Ugh. Armory Crate is such a steaming pile of crap. Even if I was forced to use Windows on my Strix laptop I wouldn't install it.
              Indeed, g-helper is far better.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Indeed, g-helper is far better.
                Super cool, I didn't even know that existed! I may slap the Windows image I captured back onto the 2nd SSD to play with that on my Strix G15.

Completely unrelated but something else I didn't know existed for years was new to me this weekend. I was looking for fio commands to mimic how Crystal DiskMark tests on Windows, and stumbled upon the author of KDiskMark mentioning his tool in some gist thread. Another cool find.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Super cool, I didn't even know that existed! I may slap the Windows image I captured back onto the 2nd SSD to play with that on my Strix G15.

Completely unrelated but something else I didn't know existed for years was new to me this weekend. I was looking for fio commands to mimic how Crystal DiskMark tests on Windows, and stumbled upon the author of KDiskMark mentioning his tool in some gist thread. Another cool find.
                  i actually made a bash script that gets fio to output rystaldiskmark like results back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                  X