Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 Continues Running Well As A Powerful AMD Ryzen 7 Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have to read the article in full but so far it sounds like a good replacement for my TUXEDO InfinityBook 13.

From the first page's pictures I really like that it has an explicit HDMI socket.
    Probably the most often used port on my current laptop other than USB-A.

One of my primary decisions to go with TUXEDO back in 2018 was their wide range of configuration options.
    Only laptop that I could find in that year which could be had with quad-core CPU and 32GB RAM.

I wonder if Michael has the maximum configuration of RAM or if they can even go beyond 32GB now

Comment

I admit to being old school, and preferring notebook-format PCs that have proper 8P8C (RJ45) ports. Dongles/USB Ethernet adapters, even expensive and high-performing USB-C ones, require less-than-ubiquitous drivers, and have a tendency to break and/or go missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's right at the end of the article where it typically is...

Apologies,

Looked through 4 times....

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          The second reservation is that i like buying my electronics equipment in person, like from a Microcenter, where they give you a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.
          On top of that, you can also get an actual hands-on feel for the keyboard and overall build / materials feel of the device, which I think is almost impossible to accomplish through videos or descriptions - and if it's something I'm going to be typing on for hours a day, every day, I *really* want the built-in keyboard to feel good.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
            Do you (or somebody else) happen to know whether USB-C would in theory allow to run DP-mode and charging at the same time? I.e. so that an external monitor connected to a power source (or a USB hub) could actually supply the laptop? Sounds to me like something many people would like to have.
            That's how every usb-c docking station (and especially those integrated into monitors) work. At work, i can plug any laptop (that supports usb-c charging and DP over usb-c (also called thunderbolt)) into my monitor and it just works. Some older laptops don't support it but everything from the last few years should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post
              I have this laptop. Or rather, I have the schenker via pro 14 L23, which is identical but doesn't have a Linux option. When I got it it was hundreds of euros cheaper than the tuxedo pulse 14 gen 3. Probably still is (with no ssd minimal warranty no charger it's currently 940 euros). Delivered from germany to UK no problem, bought local M.2 and USB-C charger, job done.

Internally it has 2x M.2 2280, which is sweet. The bios has a mirror option, untested. For some reason I had to disable the 2nd M.2 slot in bios to get a solo m.2 working.
              What distro do you run, and were you able to unlock the cTDP (54W) without using the Tuxedo driver? I'm just wondering what my experience would be like if I got this (or the Tuxedo version) and ran Arch on it.

Also, what's the keyboard feel like? Comparable to ThinkPads/MacBooks?

Comment

Tuxedo makes some interesting laptops, but with all their keyboard options it's too bad they don't list a choice for an ANSI key layout.

Comment

Originally posted by [deXter] View Post

What distro do you run, and were you able to unlock the cTDP (54W) without using the Tuxedo driver? I'm just wondering what my experience would be like if I got this (or the Tuxedo version) and ran Arch on it.

Also, what's the keyboard feel like? Comparable to ThinkPads/MacBooks?
                  Haven't tried messing with the tdp directly, just using tlp and a power save profile. The keyboard and trackpad is fine, the up down arrows keys are half height but other than that good. Fedora 39 just works, all the function keys work. Speakers are on underneath edge which is not ideal but also not terrible. The only issue I had was with putting the m.2 stick in the correct slot, for some reason one seems to be "primary" or that's my best guess. Can't compare keyboard to thinkpads or macbooks I'm afraid, it's good enough for me but YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                  X