System76 Pangolin Makes For A Nice All-AMD Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Any OEM that doesn't offer low-power Atom or Celeron laptops with socketed storage, I automatically disregard

As it is right now, only Russian and Chinese domestic OEMs sell such laptops.

Comment

Why would they bother releasing a last gen AMD laptop when everyone else is releasing current gen AMD laptops? Especially when it means no USB4.
      And the off center keyboard and touchpad is just a visual representation of the design being off.

Comment

Because there are more and less important OEMs/ODMs for AMD. The more important ones like HP, Lenovo, etc. get immediate attention. They tend to treat AMD like shit but AMD depends on them so it keeps coming back.

The ones that build interesting and innovative products get ignored at first. Like Ayaneo launched a new handheld gaming PC on the same day as Rembrandt so everyone kinda expected Rembrandt inside. But it turns out AMD gave them only Barcelo. This is because AMD doesn't think that they can sell the volume needed to sustain AMD operations.

Another example is XMG, they documented their year long futile effort to get AMD to send them Ryzen 5800 and 5900 (non-X) chips for the Apex 15 on Reddit.

But now thanks to Valve and the Steam Deck, the corporate beancounters at AMD have changed their expectations and this is why we see Phoenix based gaming handhelds at or close to lauch. System76 etc. still have to prove their worth to AMD however.
        Last edited by chithanh; 18 May 2023, 03:39 AM.

Comment

"Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen3 - AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U"
          There is no such laptop. The X1 is exclusively Intel. Guess this is a T14 or T14S

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post

Or you could just buy an apple if you wanted the closed apple ecosystem.....system 76 whole business model was based on Linux... Why would they change that?
            I don't think anyone confirmed pangolins transmitted COVID... This almost reads like a random ai generated post
            System 76 does not have a business model, they have a hobby.

They start with Ubuntu, change it around a bit, release those changes for free, then they try to sell over-priced computers with their slightly modded distro preinstalled. I don't need to look at their balance sheet to know that there is no way they are making a profit, in fact I doubt they have any sales at all.

Even worse, they are developing a new DE for their distro written in rust and they are planning on releasing that as open source as well.

The Linux community seems to be filled with people that have no clue how the free market works or how to run a business.

In order to attract a customer you need to offer something that they can't get anywhere else, offering commodity hardware, at a premium price, with software that is available freely for download from their website, that differs in no meaningful way from any other vendor, is a recipe for going out of business by the end of the year.

At least, they should consider making their rusty COSMIC desktop exclusive to their hardware customers, of you want COSMIC, then you have to buy one of their computers.

Otherwise, they are just a bunch of suckers.

Regarding Covid-19 and Pangolins:

There is emerging evidence on amino acid substitutions occurring in key residues of the receptor-binding domain of the spike glycoprotein in coronavirus isolates from bat and pangolins.
            Last edited by sophisticles; 18 May 2023, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Even if that were true, should we also change the name of companies named ISIS since the “bad ISIS” also killed numerous people, despite those companies being named after the goddess? And what about 7-Eleven? Sounds pretty close to 9/11 that killed numerous people. And since you're talking about Covid/Corona, what about the Corona beer brand? And …
              Funny you should mention this:

There are a few examples where an unexpected negative name association adversely affected sales of irrelevant products, such as Ayds candy in the United States after the breakout of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, and products from the Belgium chocolate maker ISIS before it changed its name in 2014. According to the theory of consumer psychology (Samu & Krishnan, 2010), consumers tend to avoid purchasing products with brand names associated with an adverse event or negative image (Gao et al., 2013; Pullig et al., 2006). For Corona beer, early signs of the COVID-19 impact can be seen through the abnormal loss in stock price and sustained periods of trading volatility for its parenting company (Corbet et al., 2020). Google search volume related to Corona beer also spiked in response to the timing of the COVID-19 outbreak in early March of 2020.

Comment

the 6800U is a supreme chip, i wanted a laptop with it (the low power draw on it is absolutely nuts) but the closest i could find in 16-17" range laptops was a 6900hx laptop, i also wanted a dgpu which unfortunately turned out to be nvidia but when you find a laptop that checks all the boxes and you're looking for a new one, you can't just not buy it, especially when you have seemingly demanding boxes.

As it happens, 6900hx has the same 680m gpu as the 6800u does.

I've done some testing on this thing, what I've found is that you can run virtually any game at 60+fps if you use FSR (which can be done through either gamescope or dxvk for games that lack native support for it.) (I tested on a 1440p monitor, might be rougher on a 4k display but if you have a brain, just don't get a 4k display man, 1440p is the sweetspot, you won't see any major improvement on 4k vs 2k on a screen, i've had both, so I'm pretty certain of this.)

This is it. Once people truly realize this, it will mean the death of budget GPUs, after all, why get a budget GPU when you can just get an iGPU that runs all the games anyways?

This is a good laptop.

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
                Why would they bother releasing a last gen AMD laptop when everyone else is releasing current gen AMD laptops? Especially when it means no USB4.
                And the off center keyboard and touchpad is just a visual representation of the design being off.
                6000 series IS current gen, 7000 series is desktop only, amd has this weird branding. Bet you 8000 series gonna be mobile and 9000 gonna be desktop only as well.

Comment

This configuration is 6 months to late and I would love an option of 6980HS (6 months in the past also). Today I'm waiting who delivers the 1st 7940HS or 7840U, 32Gb min, less than 1.8kg, 15"/16" without NVIDIA graphics (NVIDIA graphics card that i will never buy again in a laptop for linux use) in the next 4 months, if it doesn't I'll wait for next gen or I don't have a choice because my current laptop with Intel/NVIDIA breaks, then I'll go Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    6000 series IS current gen, 7000 series is desktop only, amd has this weird branding. Bet you 8000 series gonna be mobile and 9000 gonna be desktop only as well.
                    But there are already a bunch of AMD laptops with USB4 verified working with eGPUs for a while. Less than USB4 cannot do that at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X