Framework Provides New Details On Its Upgradeable/DIY AMD Ryzen Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Provides New Details On Its Upgradeable/DIY AMD Ryzen Laptop

Phoronix: Framework Provides New Details On Its Upgradeable/DIY AMD Ryzen Laptop

Back in March Framework Laptop announced an AMD Ryzen upgradeable laptop model but were initially light on details. Today they've revealed more information on this forthcoming product as well as opening up pre-orders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be really nice if they did a workstation-type machine, with lots of capacity for storage, including SATA and U.2 2.5" devices and a large 4K screen.

Comment

looks awesome:

Comment

Wait, they will give me a discount for the fun of assembling it myself?!

Comment

It still fundamentally has shitty IO density... and less IO than a netbook. Being able to swap IO is not helpful if you MUST swap IO to even have as much IO as a bottom tier laptop.

Comment

My workstation replacement laptop is a dell, from the company, and has 5 nvme slots and 128gb ram with nvidia 5000.
            it is getting to be 4 years old, so if these folks can get an equivalent into production, I could probably get the company to either purchase or reimburse based on the upgradability.. but my next replacement has to at least be equal to what I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post
              My workstation replacement laptop is a dell, from the company, and has 5 nvme slots and 128gb ram with nvidia 5000.
              it is getting to be 4 years old, so if these folks can get an equivalent into production, I could probably get the company to either purchase or reimburse based on the upgradability.. but my next replacement has to at least be equal to what I have now.
              Yeah, I'm not sure this is their market, you probably have an Nvidia Quadro with these amazing specs, this seems to be designed more for average consumer usage, not heavy rendering tasks. I personally believe that it is very much substandard for the price they are charging as you only get 4 ports maximum plus headphone jack, sort of ridiculous for a high end laptop.

I've noticed the same trend to low connectivity on the latest mobile workstations from Dell, my Precision M4700 from 2012 is loaded to the brim with all ports imaginable, whereas these new ones just seem sadly crippled.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure this is their market, you probably have an Nvidia Quadro with these amazing specs, this seems to be designed more for average consumer usage, not heavy rendering tasks. I personally believe that it is very much substandard for the price they are charging as you only get 4 ports maximum plus headphone jack, sort of ridiculous for a high end laptop.

I've noticed the same trend to low connectivity on the latest mobile workstations from Dell, my Precision M4700 from 2012 is loaded to the brim with all ports imaginable, whereas these new ones just seem sadly crippled.
                The same happens on desktop too... they think they can skimp on PCIe lanes because the lanes are faster.

When instead it should be more like 16PCIe 5.0 lanes split to dual 8x 5.0 GPU port + another 32 PCIe 3.0 lanes + 1 PCIe 5.0 NVMe. At least that should be what top end consumer boards have. Most devices out there are still PCIe 3.0 or older... and require full or 8x lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
                  It would be really nice if they did a workstation-type machine, with lots of capacity for storage, including SATA and U.2 2.5" devices and a large 4K screen.
                  The upcoming Laptop 16 model should be able to check all those requirements

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    It still fundamentally has shitty IO density... and less IO than a netbook. Being able to swap IO is not helpful if you MUST swap IO to even have as much IO as a bottom tier laptop.
                    What do you use those slots for?
                    I personally have a charger connected and probably 1 to 2 usb devices. I don't use a external display though.

Comment

Working...
                    X