Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP Dev One Production Ends For One Of The Most Interesting Linux Developer Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Dev One Production Ends For One Of The Most Interesting Linux Developer Laptops

Phoronix: HP Dev One Production Ends For One Of The Most Interesting Linux Developer Laptops

The HP Dev One Linux laptop is now sold-out and the production on it has ended. The HP Dev One that launched last year was the very interesting collaboration between HP and System76 for coming out with a Linux laptop catering to developers and running Pop!_OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This does not bode well. If it'd sold well enough, they would have a replacement ready by now. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

While I'm neither a fan of Pop_OS (due to GNOME) nor of a non-centered touchpad, this laptop looked quite interesting to me. I would have strongly considered it had it been available in my country. I hope we will see more Linux laptops from HP. The other big vendors, Dell and Lenovo, already have Linux as an option for many of their laptops. (Not sure about Asus and Acer.)

Comment

I went to buy one over the weekend and found this out. Welp... hopefully there is a refresh with the Zen 4 for sure. I'll be there day one if its under 1200 US.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenAnsible View Post
          I went to buy one over the weekend and found this out. Welp... hopefully there is a refresh with the Zen 4 for sure. I'll be there day one if its under 1200 US.
          I purchased the Dev One but I found myself very frustrated with the super glossy screen. The battery life was "okay" but I was not impressed enough to keep it.

I was tempted to get a Framework laptop, but the battery life of those with Linux seems to still be rather poor right now.

A "refreshed" HP Dev TWO AMD Ryzen 7000 series mobile "Zen 4", higher rez screen (non-glossy screen) (I would love a 3:2 or 16:10 screen). Minimum of 16GB of RAM.
          I would give the HP Dev TWO a try for $1200 bucks also.

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post
            This does not bode well. If it'd sold well enough, they would have a replacement ready by now. I hope I'm wrong.
            I just don't see a strong market for Linux machines. I am developer and I typically buy a windows machine that I install Ubuntu on. This can easily save me few hundred dollars. It is definitely not a big market for HP to be involved with.

Comment

I get the feeling that it was a one-off thing that they forgot about. I ended up buying one of those laptops despite the fact that it has a 16:9 screen, and it has only had one bios update that it received when I first got it. It's a decent laptop, but the useless pointing stick is slightly too high and after a few weeks leaves a small ring of dots on the screen. The pointing stick is buggy anyway. It may go way too fast, so you fix it and after the next reboot you find that the touchpad has really slowed down. So you fix that and after the next reboot the pointing stick goes too fast again.

Comment

16Gb for dev machine? For me more precise targeting HP can sell it without the keyboard, it will be the same fit for dev

Comment

Meh, it was outdated at launch having missed the new Rembrandt processors and was little more than a repurposed windows laptop without a windows license. It's cool having HW validated for linux and the supposed collaboration with system76, but if every Linux laptop just means making a big fuss over old windows units why bother

Comment

The Dev One was on my radar over the holidays to get as I was in the 'market' for a new one, but then NewEgg had an upgrade-able MSI laptop which caught my eye, and I just couldn't pass it up. Yes, I did have to wipe Windoze off of it, but everything worked in Linux land so satisfied. Also bought 32GB of memory for it and added a m.2 1TB SSD. I was still not quite up the original selling price of the laptop!

Maybe down the road they'll be a Dev Two. Sad to see the Dev One go away, but technology just keeps moving forward.

BTW I never care about battery life because normally my laptops are plugged in, whether home, hotel, airport, or where-ever I may need/want to use it. The big deal is it has fit in my luggage... Ie. be portable.

Comment

Working...
                    X