Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Teasing New Pangolin Laptop Powered By AMD Ryzen

Phoronix: System76 Teasing New Pangolin Laptop Powered By AMD Ryzen

System76 is kicking off the new year by preparing to release a new AMD-powered Linux laptop, an updated Pangolin model...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see a RISC-V or ARM laptop.

Comment

So they named their laptop after their supplier or something?

Comment

The pangolin page is down for me: https://system76.com/laptops/pangolin

Anyway, this seems neat... but not if they charge Asus G14 prices for it.

Comment

Hopefully this will encourage them to resolve this bug with system76-power on AMD computers https://github.com/pop-os/system76-power/issues/360

Comment

There is a bug in the Ryzen 6x000 series of mobile CPU's that is making Linux hang randomly. I hope System 76 fixes it before they ship because it is causing Asus and Lenovo and a lot of 2nd tier brands a lot of grief.

Random Freezes 680M (6900HS / 6800HS) (#2068) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab
            Last edited by edwaleni; 12 January 2023, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
              There is a bug in the Ryzen 6x000 series of mobile CPU's that is making Linux hang randomly. I hope System 76 fixes it before they ship because it is causing Asus and Lenovo and a lot of 2nd tier brands a lot of grief.
              Any more details on this? I haven't experienced at all with PRO 6850U with Lenovo laptop in the months of benchmarking so far....
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Any more details on this? I haven't experienced at all with PRO 6850U with Lenovo laptop in the months of benchmarking so far....
                Random Freezes 680M (6900HS / 6800HS) (#2068) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab

At the moment they think it is when a certain chiplet from a fabber is assigned Core 0. When the Ryzen goes into low power state, the voltage is so close to the floor, it causes Core 0 to turn off completely. At the moment they have been trying to raise the low power mode voltage up and see if this resolves it.

It is random because the chiplet in question is not always in the position of Core 0. It appears to pass bin sorting, but there is a small tolerance problem that low voltage make it fail.

Some have said you either have to have a BIOS update to raise the low power floor or a VRM that can discriminate low power in the hundreths of a volt.

Comment

Too late I guess. The StarFighter laptop from StarLabs has been available for a couple of months and with better specs. Same CPU, but more ram, better screen, better webcam, and bigger battery. Not sure about pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Looking through the thread it appears to be related to voltage/power states and is more reproducable when doing a combined CPU/iGPU load. Maybe if you usually bench the CPU or IGP (but not both at the same time or so dynamically) the problem wont present itself?

Or maybe your particular SKU+motherboard is just not vulnerable b/c of whatever defaults it uses? I can imagine the PRO SKUs shipping with less aggressive voltage curves.

Speaking from past experience on my G14, some issues are related to hardware states that persist between reboots. For instance, sometimes I would have a wifi issue in linux after booting windows (and only after booting windows), or I would have a persistent fan control issue on linux that I could fix by booting windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X