Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post

arch is a community based distribution with no company backing. and it is known for bleeding edge
    *you* are the tester
    Besides, there's not only the bleeding edge kernel, but also de LTS one in the repos, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
      But you get latest Mesa!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        35-352271_smug-saitama-smug-anime-face-know-your-meme.jpg

Me, using a LTS distro that other people call "obsolete crap", watching kids on the bleeding edge getting their papercuts...
        I benched today PopOS and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2. The difference was neglibible and could be attributed to different display servers (xorg on Pop and Wayland on Ubuntu). I honestly doubt being on the bleeding edge provides any significant advantage in most cases, and you get exposed to this in return.

I feel it's more meme them anything else at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

TBH, while I've had breakages with rolling releases, I also had breakages with Ubuntu LTS in the past and also Debian Stable-derived distros like Deepin.
          I accept the Ubuntu case, but Deepin is no example of stability.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Besides, there's not only the bleeding edge kernel, but also de LTS one in the repos, right?
            true, but the same is true to latest mesa and other packages.
            i wouldn't recommend arch for someone who really needs a stable distribution (or... i would make him use snapshots)

Comment

Good thing my Rolling Release Distroâ„¢ already released Linux 6.0 yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
                I thought it was my laptop dying or something.

How the hell did Arch let this kernel get to stable without testing it on Intel hardware? It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update and it seems oddly obvious of a bug.
                The use of the words Arch and testing in the same sentence

My own experiences with Arch lasted about 3 or 4 months. Then I realized it's release program was only a bit more stable than a druggie on crack.

Those experiences were a few years ago so I guess Arch has not improved that much based on the quoted comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
                  At some point, almost all bleeding-edge wannabes (read: beta testers) will get tired of ridiculous errors no one else have and get back to stable distros with tail tucked between their legs.

Comment

OTOH, I run a testing branch on my home system specifically because I want to take part in testing and improve the stable branch for those (including me) using stable on more critical machines. So encountering bugs, while annoying, is kind of the point with a 'testing' branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      You're partly right, but there will always be people that will never have a problem. It's like HDDs many will run into a defect but I know also many people that never had a bad one.
                      As a former QA person back in the day, generally speaking a "I don't have a problem" was less important to me than how many other people are reporting the same problem (but not just saying me too). The question is usually NOT "Who doesn't have this problem?" because it can be assumed the people that pushed the update out the door don't have the problem or they would have caught it. It's "Who has this problem and what's different (or similar) with their system (from mine)?" The first report of "I don't have the problem" might be useful from a testing point of view assuming the person reporting is qualified and really does have a similar setup to the believed problematic hardware - definitely not a given from random posts on the Internet even if they give a model number. After that people posting "me too" without any other information or slight information, which is what's going on here, is unhelpful. It's extremely risky to take people "I don't have a problem" at their word even if they supposedly have similar hardware (hardware model & revision numbers don't tell you everything).

Those that are doing this when there's a valid - dangerous - problem report with something as important with the Linux kernel need to stop. You're as unhelpful as the people posting "me too" to problem reports.
                      Last edited by stormcrow; 04 October 2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X