Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burrito View Post
    It definitely isn't affecting every machine. My framework laptop was nearly unusable.
    Indeed: 5.19.12-arch1-1

It would be interesting to see what makes the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
      It's a layer 8 issue tho. You should know what you sign up for.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
        I thought it was my laptop dying or something...

Someone on arch forum already helped me with this problem but yesterday I thought the same

Comment

35-352271_smug-saitama-smug-anime-face-know-your-meme.jpg

Me, using a LTS distro that other people call "obsolete crap", watching kids on the bleeding edge getting their papercuts...

Comment

-----
            Last edited by Vistaus; 04 October 2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
              TBH, while I've had breakages with rolling releases, I also had breakages with Ubuntu LTS in the past and also Debian Stable-derived distros like Deepin.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 04 October 2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                35-352271_smug-saitama-smug-anime-face-know-your-meme.jpg

Me, using a LTS distro that other people call "obsolete crap", watching kids on the bleeding edge getting their papercuts...
                Me, having had issues with both rolling release AND LTS, watching you...

Comment

So will stable release distros, except breakages will occur only at certain time points and with a much higher chance as you'll update everything at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Me, having had issues with both rolling release AND LTS, watching you...
                    Cool, I have my own cyborg sidekick.

Comment

... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Well said.

And even then, you always have the smartass that will tell you that once their install didn't boot, but "no biggie!" since they will go into rescue mode yadda yadda.

Your install broke. You knew how to fix it, sure, but don't go around telling people "never had an issue", as someone else might not be able to extricate themselves from a similar situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X