Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's fun. Fedora and Tumbleweed are both on 5.19.12.

Code:
    [foo@Z840 ~]$ uname -r
    5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64

foo@tumbleweed:/home/foo> zypper se -v kernel-default
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name                        | Type    | Version           | Arch   | Repository
    --+-----------------------------+---------+-------------------+--------+------------------------
      | kernel-default              | package | 5.19.12-1.1       | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
        name: kernel-default

Comment

gentoo stable still on 5.15 i think.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        gentoo stable still on 5.15 i think.
        Sounds reasonable. Probably. Maybe. Still, Greg should really be more strict with what gets into stable trees.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
          I thought it was my laptop dying or something.

How the hell did Arch let this kernel get to stable without testing it on Intel hardware? It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update and it seems oddly obvious of a bug.
          arch is a community based distribution with no company backing. and it is known for bleeding edge
          *you* are the tester

Comment

How the hell did Arch let this kernel get to stable without testing it on Intel hardware? It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update and it seems oddly obvious of a bug.
            I don't think that Arch has any special testing, it's just users that have the [testing] repo. If no one using that repo has the specific affected hardware it goes unnoticed. Same for the Kernel guys I guess.

​Obviously this is really bad but what would be the solution?

Comment

It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update
              Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
                You're partly right, but there will always be people that will never have a problem. It's like HDDs many will run into a defect but I know also many people that never had a bad one.

Comment

Guys, automated testing doesn't involve someone sitting at a physical computer, staring at the screen for any graphical glitches after every commit.

That's how such an issue made it into a stable kernel release.

Comment

I have this issue on my brand new T14 Gen 3 Intel laptop with Fedora beta 37. I'm currently using the previous kernel in grub

5.19.12-300.fc37.x86_64

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                      Guys, automated testing doesn't involve someone sitting at a physical computer, staring at the screen for any graphical glitches after every commit.
                      You have at least kernel and driver devs working with the latest git kernel, but still they also need to use the affected hardware to encounter the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X