Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Phoronix: Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Intel laptop users running Linux are being advised to avoid running the latest Linux 5.19.12 stable kernel point release as it can potentially damage your display...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought it was my laptop dying or something.

How the hell did Arch let this kernel get to stable without testing it on Intel hardware? It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update and it seems oddly obvious of a bug.

Comment

I'm typing this right now from an Intel laptop (Dell Latitude 5591) with 5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64. I haven't noticed any issues

Comment

Linux moment

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          I'm typing this right now from an Intel laptop (Dell Latitude 5591) with 5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64. I haven't noticed any issues
          It definitely isn't affecting every machine. My framework laptop was nearly unusable.

Comment

sad that it got pushed to stable fedora even I reported it here (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...omment-2733328) and recorded a video here (https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...omment-2733367)

Comment

And I thought it was the nvidia driver interfering in a strange way

But seriosly such a release shouldn't have been possible

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
                I thought it was my laptop dying or something.

How the hell did Arch let this kernel get to stable without testing it on Intel hardware? It's the first time Arch broke my install with an update and it seems oddly obvious of a bug.
                Haha this is a feature of bleeding edge systems.
                That's why I use Debian. No surprises from "stable" Linux kernel for me.

Comment

Have been running 5.19.12 (5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64) for the last few days on a ThinkPad T14s Gen1 (10th Gen Intel CPU) and have not had any issues.

Comment

I recommend everyone with an Intel GPU to upgrade away from 5.19.12 whether or not you have any visible problems. No point in risking it.

Comment

Working...
                    X