Framework Laptop Launches Chromebook Edition With Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Framework has no use to me as long as they don't offer boards with Gemini Lake, Jasper Lake or Elkhart Lake processors.
    Why do you want an atom core friend? Jasper Lake is weak sauce, I have a 4 core Jasper lake Pentium Chromebook, it is weak sauce! It never idles. An 8 core Zen 2 Ryzen 7 is just a little bit warmer, but that Jasper Lake Chromebook gets pretty hot playing games in the Linux VM!

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post

??? https://frame.work/products/12-gen-i...v=FRUPGRDKIT01 <- This is lierally an *upgrade* kit. This is as much as a laptop can provide and more than most others do.
      There is also https://www.techradar.com/news/intel...e-much-cheaper but laptops with that are also very rare and expensive.
      Sorry but this sounds uninformed from your side.
      Oh so you can upgrade the cpu and motherboard huh?

Their choice of intel CPUs is fantastic but I want it's rivalling AMD CPUs or I'm just not buying it (I mean i'm just not buying an intel laptop of the current generation at all; anyone with two braincells to rub together and an inclination for gaming would most likely agree). The reason is simple, for this particular generation the AMD CPUs are simply better, especially if you look at the iGPUs; the 680M AMD's sporting on the most recent laptop ryzen 7 and 9 cpus is like a gtx 1050 more or less in performance, you can have a full fledged gaming laptop without a dGPU, for that possibility any intel gpu on a laptop for this generation might as well be worthless by comparison.

It's surprising to me that framework has the infrastructure to make motherboard and cpu upgrades possible but does not offer AMD motherboards and cpus.

Comment

e.g. StarLabs, which may be even selling less units that Framwork has also managed to have both an Intel and AMD version of the same Starbook model. www.starlabs.systems

What bugs me is the fact, that framework is greenwashing their "openess" and repairability, but do not make an effort to provide coreboot and other open source firmware and privacy related functions. It is even the other way round - they partner with Google which is "closing" and not "opening" their product, allwing them to collect data etc.

If it was really there before, Framework has sold their soul in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Oh so you can upgrade the cpu and motherboard huh?

Their choice of intel CPUs is fantastic but I want it's rivalling AMD CPUs or I'm just not buying it (I mean i'm just not buying an intel laptop of the current generation at all; anyone with two braincells to rub together and an inclination for gaming would most likely agree). The reason is simple, for this particular generation the AMD CPUs are simply better, especially if you look at the iGPUs; the 680M AMD's sporting on the most recent laptop ryzen 7 and 9 cpus is like a gtx 1050 more or less in performance, you can have a full fledged gaming laptop without a dGPU, for that possibility any intel gpu on a laptop for this generation might as well be worthless by comparison.

It's surprising to me that framework has the infrastructure to make motherboard and cpu upgrades possible but does not offer AMD motherboards and cpus.
          Well, then it just isn't for you. But having read tuxedo responses over past months and even years it is quite hard to get CPUs/chips from AMD. They are just not as readily available as Intel chips, at least for smaller companies. Also maybe gamers are not exactly the audience for such a laptop - if you want to play on a laptop you are better off with NVidia anyway but that is of course a different topic.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post

Well, then it just isn't for you. But having read tuxedo responses over past months and even years it is quite hard to get CPUs/chips from AMD. They are just not as readily available as Intel chips, at least for smaller companies. Also maybe gamers are not exactly the audience for such a laptop - if you want to play on a laptop you are better off with NVidia anyway but that is of course a different topic.
            U can have both nvidia and amd u know.

Comment

If they offered AMD laptops they would be too expensive for my liking. But I ordered 2 UFS card readers from them (SMI3350 based).

Comment

Working...
              X