Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop Launches Chromebook Edition With Google

Phoronix: Framework Laptop Launches Chromebook Edition With Google

The Framework Laptop has proven to be very popular with enthusiasts thanks to its focus on the ability for users to make repairs and upgrades to their laptop. Google has even taken notice and they in cooperation with Framework Computer Inc have launched a Chromebook Edition laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no news on AMD variants or even if it will be compatible with current Intel ones.

Comment

is there ARM variant of Framework ?

Comment

Who exactly would this appeal to? Buying a Chromebook is like buying a Honda Civic - it's meant for people who don't care what it is, they just want something that can reliably and cheaply get them from point A to point B. Framework is kinda an enthusiasts' platform.
        But whatever - I'm sure Framework is getting some extra funding from this so fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Still no news on AMD variants or even if it will be compatible with current Intel ones.
          I don't think you would expect anything from AMD for a good while. AMD orders are already set in for their channels, I doubt they will have any interest into partnering with a small shop like Framework. Heck, finding an AMD laptop is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by braiam View Post

I don't think you would expect anything from AMD for a good while. AMD orders are already set in for their channels, I doubt they will have any interest into partnering with a small shop like Framework. Heck, finding an AMD laptop is hard.
            On the other hand, there often will be spares, so they could sell the spares to a small shop to still make some profit off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Who exactly would this appeal to? Buying a Chromebook is like buying a Honda Civic - it's meant for people who don't care what it is, they just want something that can reliably and cheaply get them from point A to point B. Framework is kinda an enthusiasts' platform.
              But whatever - I'm sure Framework is getting some extra funding from this so fine by me.
              I suspect Google devs are Framework fans, which is why they are doing this.

As for the justification: utilitarian, non techy pc users would still appreciate modularity and easy repairability.

Comment

Honestly i'm a bit disappoitned with framework, their laptop is right to repair friendly, and some parts of it are modular like usb ports and whatnot, but it's missing the really important things....

You can't get a bigger or smaller modle as you need, you cna't select a motherboard or processor either, there's just one motherboard and a few processors available, if you want AMD then too bad, if you want a 17" laptop then too bad, if you want a normal 15" laptop too bad, if you want a normal 16:9 screen instead of 4:3, too bad.

The right to repair friendliness is great, but these laptops have literally nothing else going for them, being able to more easily swap out your wifi card or add in an sd card reader or whatever is nice, but they're not truly important like the CPU or Screen size, of which they offer practiclaly no variety. Not to mention dGPU...

I was hoping that with time framework would start offering real variety for core components like that, but it seems like they just have no plans at all for that at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by braiam View Post

I don't think this is the reason, Framwork doesn't sell that much so it's probably not because they don't have enough AMD CPUs to sell for frame work. More likley the other way around, framework would have double developement cost if they include AMD and therefore they don't want to. Which is fine but also bad for me.

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  You can't get a bigger or smaller modle as you need, you cna't select a motherboard or processor either, there's just one motherboard and a few processors available, if you want AMD then too bad, if you want a 17" laptop then too bad, if you want a normal 15" laptop too bad, if you want a normal 16:9 screen instead of 4:3, too bad.

The right to repair friendliness is great, but these laptops have literally nothing else going for them, being able to more easily swap out your wifi card or add in an sd card reader or whatever is nice, but they're not truly important like the CPU or Screen size, of which they offer practiclaly no variety. Not to mention dGPU...
                  But Frameworks thing is that they have one customizable platform, the money they would need to satisfy all those needs is just too much. They have to make profits in the end, else there will be no framework at all. The result is the current situation and if they are successful it might expand in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Honestly i'm a bit disappoitned with framework, their laptop is right to repair friendly, and some parts of it are modular like usb ports and whatnot, but it's missing the really important things....

I was hoping that with time framework would start offering real variety for core components like that, but it seems like they just have no plans at all for that at this rate.
                    Oh come on.. it's been a little bit more than a year since they released the laptop. You really expected them to start offering a variety of different models so quickly? They're not an established laptop maker with a budget to be able to do that. First they need that concentrate to make this laptop a success - for example expand to other countries. After that I'm sure new models will come... if they are successful.

Comment

Working...
                    X