TUXEDO Computers Announces Water-Cooled Linux Laptop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GNOME isn't that resource intensive anymore.
    It was years ago, but now it is comparable with KDE.
    Last time I tried it was late last year and it was resource intensive still. And mind you: it was a very barebones install on Void, so no extra distro crap or even systemd slowing everything down. It was like 800-900 MB idle and my fans were noticeable. With KDE, I never hear my fans when idle and resource usage is between 350 and 600 MB idle.
    And mind you: this is on a proper PC (I ditched my notebook last year), so I can only imagine that GNOME would be more resource intensive on a notebook still.

Comment

I missed the point of this water-cooling thing...

Comment

Thanks to Canonical contributions GNOME isn't that resource intensive anymore.
        It was years ago - before Ubuntu switched to GNOME-, but now it is comparable with KDE.
        Fixed for you

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Seems to be a viable solution for those wanting to run Plasma on a Notebook.
          Perhaps he finds Plasma resource-heavy, but I understood his comment as humor, because real plasma is very hot.

Comment

GNOME isn't that resource intensive anymore.
            It was years ago, but now it is comparable with KDE.
            It is not. It is unusable on lowend SoCs. I could just go ahead and try it again on Gemini Lake it would be guaranteed that there'd be frame drops with mpv for even 24fps video. 100% assured.
            This is not bashing, this is just the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              I missed the point of this water-cooling thing...
              Could be they're baiting LinusTechTips to make a video on it (they tend to make videos with weird hardware like this), in order to spread the Tuxedo brand.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                It is not. It is unusable on lowend SoCs. I could just go ahead and try it again on Gemini Lake it would be guaranteed that there'd be frame drops with mpv for even 24fps video. 100% assured.
                This is not bashing, this is just the facts.
                facts != anecdotes

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                  facts != anecdotes
                  Except it is highly representative for (hundreds of) millions of slow devices out there, on which Gnome Wayland runs worse than Windows 11, whereas Plasma Wayland runs better.
                  Plasma Wayland session performance is comparable to Sway, whereas Gnome clearly isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Last time I tried it was late last year and it was resource intensive still. And mind you: it was a very barebones install on Void, so no extra distro crap or even systemd slowing everything down. It was like 800-900 MB idle and my fans were noticeable. With KDE, I never hear my fans when idle and resource usage is between 350 and 600 MB idle.
                    And mind you: this is on a proper PC (I ditched my notebook last year), so I can only imagine that GNOME would be more resource intensive on a notebook still.
                    Lets try and run it on a P3 with 2GB of ram... and see how badly all the modern desktops crawl even with an accelerated graphics card (should be able to get an AGP 4x card on a P3 system).

Comment

Working...
                    X