No announcement yet.

System76 Announces New Alder Lake Laptop With Coreboot Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The screen ratio with that big baseline hindge can be solved in the next laptop integration with OLED 120 refresh-rate screen.

So far, it seems solid.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
      Still waiting for secureboot support in firmware with preferably a GUI to configure UEFI options. These are basic features that I still can't have on my laptop after all this time (galp5) :-(
      What makes you believe this laptop doesn't support secure boot? Every other (commercial) coreboot device does.

Comment

Originally posted by davidhendricks View Post

Oops, thanks for clarifying!
        All good, I am currently debating buying this myself as I've found no other option that is as competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post
          It's 2022, why they keep using 1080p panels in laptops?
          It's 2022, why do people keep wanting 4K on such a small display?

Comment

If I suggest that Alder Lake seems an odd choice, is that just my pro-AMD bias manifesting?

If I honestly feel that the Dev One laptop is a better choice than this, have I gone completely off the reservation?

Who is this laptop for? Coreboot enthusiasts?

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

What makes you believe this laptop doesn't support secure boot? Every other (commercial) coreboot device does.
              Because System76 is so not confident/interested in secureboot that they suggest you get an external programmer when attempting. Also when I attempt to compile a newer version of the firmware to flash on my laptop, I get rust compile errors. Sigh

All of this would be forgiven if they actually made their laptops, but they don't. They just buy some clevo laptops, etch their logo and flash a custom firmware.

There should be a way to enable Secure Boot and add user-generated platform keys to protect system from tampering.

I've noticed star-labs has a coreboot configuration tool do we have such a tool or is one being made? Also TuxedoComputers has a Control Panel for their Clevo Based Laptops. are there plans to impl...
              Last edited by kvuj; 06 July 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                If I suggest that Alder Lake seems an odd choice, is that just my pro-AMD bias manifesting?

If I honestly feel that the Dev One laptop is a better choice than this, have I gone completely off the reservation?

Who is this laptop for? Coreboot enthusiasts?
                For all their talk on supporting OSS, AMD support for coreboot is basically nonexistent. Add to that their general Linux support remains uneven, to put it lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by davidhendricks View Post

It also has a matte finish, so one can actually see what their laptop is displaying rather than their own reflection and glare. That's far more important than higher resolution IMO.
                  And why are you implying that we can't have both?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's 2022, why do people keep wanting 4K on such a small display?
                    Not necessarily 4K. 2560x1440 would be enough. Why? Because we value our eyes and our comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

And why are you implying that we can't have both?
                      They probably could have designed it with a 4K matte display, but then again they probably also did cost/benefit analysis to arrive at their decision. I'm sure there's a whole laundry list of features that could be added if customers are willing to pay more.

Comment

Working...
                      X