Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redeye View Post
    How did this thread turn into this?
    Because ISA gets intertwined with politics, with x86 being essentially controlled by a US company and then how Trump used ARM's US patents to block its business operations involving Huawei. These troublesome facts are the undercurrent which drives many of the technology investments being made outside the US. The developments being made in non-x86 and non-ARM alternatives are more of an ongoing interest of some, for those reasons.

half of the sentences that Excalibyte wrote to describe the laptop seem like an AI generated an NFT of a marketing copy.
    LOL, yeah. I had similar thoughts. Like, someone used some app for generating marketing copy that was meant as a joke, but the folks behind the laptop ran across the app and thought it was for real.

What do half of these sentences even mean, and how are they not stuff that any Turing machine can do,
    In the most generous interpretation, they could just be playing up the fact that it has integrated 5G wireless and a GPU/NPU that's also capable of some degree of crypto acceleration.

And what the hell is an AI speaker?!
    Perhaps they intend some AI-powered noise cancellation or sound-enhancement filter? It's not a feature I'd take seriously, unless and until the product is actually delivered with it enabled, and a reviewer puts it through its paces with some tests comparing on/off and other laptop speakers.

Comment

Well i'll be damned, it actually released. I'm durprised, nothing about it rang as real to me. Especially their reluctance to use any real photos or show the board itself.

Comment

Well i'll be damned, it actually released. I'm durprised, nothing about it rang as real to me. Especially their reluctance to use any real photos or show the board itself.
        I'm so glad, thanks for the update and reminding us that this exists, I personally had all but forgotten.
        Last edited by hamishmb; 08 October 2022, 03:03 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I'm a little unclear on the specifics of what has released, and exactly what "released" means (i.e. did someone actually receive a unit they preordered?).

First, let's focus on the "what". The preorder ad noted a Standard (28 nm) and Pro (12 nm) SoC, but lists only one clock speed ("up to 2.5 GHz"). Are we to assume you only get 2.5 GHz with the Pro?

Next, if you click their alibaba order page, it lists 3 options:
          • $5k - Premium
          • $2.5k - Standard
          • $1.5k - Basic

I don't see any of the specs changing, when I switch between them. Would be nice to know which contains the Pro (12 nm) Soc, as it likely affects max freq. and certainly battery life.

Finally, at the bottom, they list the following shipping estimates, from which it's not obvious to me that anything is actually shipping:
          • Premium - Q4 2022
          • Standard - Q1 2023
          • Basic - Q3 2023

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            it's not obvious to me that anything is actually shipping:
            yeah, it's a dangling carrot!

by now, i was thinking there will be some unboxing videos on youtube with overview of running a linux distro and performance review etc. there is nothing so far.

i'm waiting for a risc-v laptop since 2018 so lets wait another year (or two?) :|

Comment

Working...
            X