HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

You should see it under /sys/ but maybe you are trying as non-root user? For security reasons need to be root to read.
    I see, im using zenpower3 right now to see power consumption but it would be more elegant if AMD let us see power consumption as a user because nvidia dynamic boost rely on it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cihancan View Post

I see, im using zenpower3 right now to see power consumption but it would be more elegant if AMD let us see power consumption as a user because nvidia dynamic boost rely on it. Thanks.
      Both Intel and AMD restrict to root after PlunderVolt or another one of those security vulnerabilities that could be found to leverage CPU voltage information as part of the attack.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's an Elitebook 845 G8 with the fingerprint reader removed, since the Validity/Synaptics models HP uses are not supported in Linux.
        I just hope this means HP will start validating their UEFI firmware under linux too.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

How is this unfortunate? It would be so if it was 8GB, but 16 isn't that low either.
          It is a bit unfortunate, for while 16GB might be fine for many, others will want 32GB or 64GB, and that means they will end up with extra memory to (attempt) to resell. Same thing for the 1TB SSD size (good for some, too little for others). But adding BTO options would likely complicate things (and result in longer delivery times).

Comment

Originally posted by hardfalcon View Post
            Soooo frustrating to see such a nice device with for once even the mouse buttons at the top edge of the touchpad, and even with a trackpoint/pointing stick, but then with only two instead of three mouse buttons.

It is beyond me how product designer in their right mind could think that omitting the middle mouse button might be a sensible decision for a Laptop that is geared towards power users, especially Linux users. Would these people also try selling single chopsticks or car tires in packs of three?
            Can't you press both buttons to emulate the third? And many touchpads have also a gesture for the middle click.

Comment

Four Essential Keys, TouchPoint... definitely better than many of the options I've seen recently.

But HP. And US only.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Can't you press both buttons to emulate the third? And many touchpads have also a gesture for the middle click.
                What if you actually want to left and right click at the same time though?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What if you actually want to left and right click at the same time though?
                  Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

16 GB is OK, at some point devs just offload to servers which will always be more powerful than laptops.

Comment

I urgently need a notebook and this one mostly fits what I need... but apparently it only ships to the US, so it's pretty useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X