Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ximian
    replied
    This laptop looks like Elitebook 845 G8. If this is the case then memory is expandable up to 64GB of RAM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I moved house two months ago, and I'm still waiting for internet. Every time I call to ask I get a different excuse. Fun times.

I don't really trust "cloud" computing - even at work I'm reticent to use a system I haven't set up personally, although that's partly because of the security policy. My development requirements are relatively modest (although seeing if I could get some of our programs to compile and run on a RPi4 and Jetson Nano was painful) but two things I absolutely can't do without are a decent screen (15.6" 1440p or 17" 1600p minimum, please!) and a half decent keyboard (preferably with a numeric pad).

I've never had the funds to get a big beast Thinkpad, but honestly the best dev laptop I had was a rebranded Clevo affair with a surprisingly comfortable keyboard (with numpad!) and great 4K screen in a 15.6" chassis. Small bump in font size and I was happy. It was a hot running wossname, though. The LG Gram (17" version) is great but the keyboard is terrible and my new Asus has an amazing screen but while the keyboard is much better than the LG, either I've not got familiar enough with it yet or sometimes it responds to a single press as a double which is insanely frustrating.

I'm not the target market for this, though, I guess. Also, after my last two experiences with HP, I would sooner go back to use log tables and an abacus before giving them my money.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

It's just you and some like you. Not everyone is silly and trying to build large software projects on resource-cost inefficient laptops. :P Also, your Mac team members are masochists. Seriously. (Not because of MacOS, which is a decent OS, but because they're doing it with insufficient hardware resources - hence dedicated build hardware).

Desktops and servers are far more cost efficient. With ubiquitous Internet access in places most people can afford a laptop, it's far more efficient to just remotely connect to a desktop or build/test server from a basic laptop if mobile access is needed.
    There are many ways you can solve this. There is, as you said, building a desktop and remotely connecting to it; you can rent a VM in the cloud; you can also just refactor stuff in your project to make you need less memory and make sure you close whatever you no longer need before opening any new container/VM; and there are probably other ways too. But, you can also just pay a bit extra and load your laptop with the memory you need and then you don't need to worry about any of that and things just work.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    with system76? this always use nvidia and now they will put in their hands a amd system, disaster come

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
    I bet a $ it will NOT have support for LVFS.
    Where's that $?
    https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.h...evone.firmware

Leave a comment:

• wsippel
    replied
    Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
    who develops in 14inches man. I never get how people do it. Is it just me :/
    My keyboard doesn't even have a number row. I prefer more layers to more keys for programming.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    Embrace...

Leave a comment:

• darkcoder
    replied
    The price is a little high for a non expandable, non dedicated graphics laptop.

You can get an entry level gaming laptop for around $700-800 and expand it's memory, and probably will come with a more durable keyboard too.

Leave a comment:

• openminded
    replied
    Last time I checked scaling on Linux was not as smooth as in macOS. But if someone prefers fiddling with higher resolutions on small screens, that's OK. Have your fun.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Why does it have only a Ryzen 5000 and not 6000?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X