Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Preparing An AMD-Powered Linux Laptop Powered By Pop!_OS

Phoronix: HP Preparing An AMD-Powered Linux Laptop Powered By Pop!_OS

To date Pop!_OS has been System76's own Ubuntu derivative pre-loaded onto their various laptops and desktops. Rather interestingly, HP is preparing to launch a new laptop that will make use of Pop!_OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD + AMD laptops are quite rare unfortunately, so just for that it is interesting! I am worried though that as it is a "Professional" device it will be considerably more expensive than comparable consumer laptops.

Comment

But nobody wants linux on the desktop; it's an insignificant market that nobody in their right mind would target! I know because phoronix readers tell me all the time!

I'm kinda interested in this, and pop os is a fascinating choice

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
      ... I am worried though that as it is a "Professional" device it will be considerably more expensive than comparable consumer laptops.
      If the quality is higher than the corner-cutting price/perf consoomer stuff, I'm ok with it. If not, yeh, screw em.
      Last edited by doomie; 20 May 2022, 06:36 PM.

Comment

> "built for developers"
        > up to 16GB
        Soldered memory? Why not 16GB stock and "up to 32GB" at least?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          > "built for developers"
          > up to 16GB
          More like
          > "built for developers"
          > is another shitty 14in ultrabook with an awful low travel keyboard with a bad layout and a clickpad

Since when is "Developer" synonymous with hipster working in HR?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            > "built for developers"
            > up to 16GB
            I was thinking the same. As a developer, I don't go lower than 64 GB, but that could be just me. It makes it easier to spin up as much VMs and containers as you need and laugh at those Mac team mates struggling with their docker containers running out of memory.

Comment

The most interesting thing here is potentially HP support. Are they going to help you if, say, something is wrong with one of the drivers for the device? With some distro problem? Are they going to upstream fixes for customers?

Perhaps they are contracting support out to S76, who is more set up for this kind of thing.

The specs and price are very *meh* though. As I already said in another article, this is a really tough buy when Frameworks are less than $1k.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 20 May 2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

For me it is intresting, when it is available in Switzerland. Only one point, i could remove tath Ubuntu 1000nd derivate and Install openSUSE to it .

Comment

Now that's a pretty good machine. FHD for 14 inch display is a perfect fit. But those tiny Up and Down keys though... Why don't vendors just shorten right Shift in order to have a full-sized navigation buttons? The solution is pretty darn simple.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I was thinking the same. As a developer, I don't go lower than 64 GB, but that could be just me. It makes it easier to spin up as much VMs and containers as you need and laugh at those Mac team mates struggling with their docker containers running out of memory.
                    It's just you and some like you. Not everyone is silly and trying to build large software projects on resource-cost inefficient laptops. :P Also, your Mac team members are masochists. Seriously. (Not because of MacOS, which is a decent OS, but because they're doing it with insufficient hardware resources - hence dedicated build hardware).

Desktops and servers are far more cost efficient. With ubiquitous Internet access in places most people can afford a laptop, it's far more efficient to just remotely connect to a desktop or build/test server from a basic laptop if mobile access is needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X