Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adept View Post

System76 Pangolin? I think they will update it soon
    That device and screen looks way too massive. That number pad would be useless for me.
    I dont see any Intel 12th laptops or new AMD chips by System76 announced yet.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

That device and screen looks way too massive. That number pad would be useless for me.
      I dont see any Intel 12th laptops or new AMD chips by System76 announced yet.
      3 models with Intel 12th gen announced: https://system76.com/laptops

Comment

3 models with Intel 12th gen announced: https://system76.com/laptops
        Ahhh. Thanks for the correction. Those 3 models are way too massive of a device than what I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
          Not the best time to invest into Intel's hardware. You will get poor performance for their cores on Linux as well as hot piece of plastic on any OS
          Why are you making up this nonsense? Alder Lake performance was improved with Kernel 5.16, which was backported for Ubuntu’s 5.15 LTS kernel.

From reviews comparing the 1280P vs the 6800u, the 1280P is ahead by 20% in single core workloads and 15% in multi core workloads.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

System76 Pangolin? I think they will update it soon
            The price is preposterous though. $1,318.00 for a 5700U with 16GB of RAM and a 240GB ssd, and a meh chassis/screen? New G14s with a fat dGPU go for less than that.

Forget a Windows license premium, thats like an OSX premium.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 20 May 2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

The price is preposterous though. $1,318.00 for a 5700U with 16GB of RAM and a 240GB ssd, and a meh chassis/screen? New G14s with a fat dGPU go for less than that.

Forget a Windows license premium, thats like an OSX premium.
              Unfortunately, System76 is a small manufacturer, and they can't sell hardware with a tiny margin. And it's up to a buyer - to get a better spec for a back from Dell/Lenovo/HP or support "Linux only" manufacturer.

Comment

...I especially like the idea of setting background stuff to run on the efficiency cores by default.
                I think I'd dig a scheduler that put -everything- on the efficiency cores unless a process was pegging a core for a solid 3+ seconds or so. I wonder what that would feel like in real life. Are there ways to toy around with core scheduling that aren't totally arcane, some sort of sensible high-level framework?

Comment

Unfortunately, System76 is a small manufacturer, and they can't sell hardware with a tiny margin. And it's up to a buyer - to get a better spec for a back from Dell/Lenovo/HP or support "Linux only" manufacturer.
                  But Framework sells explicitly linux-friendly barebones for very reasonable prices.

You are paying for active distro support with S76, I suppose. Which is reasonable, but thats different than simply supporting a barebones option or linux testing.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I think I'd dig a scheduler that put -everything- on the efficiency cores unless a process was pegging a core for a solid 3+ seconds or so. I wonder what that would feel like in real life. Are there ways to toy around with core scheduling that aren't totally arcane, some sort of sensible high-level framework?
                    IDK, you still want interactive burst tasks (like browser stuff and the desktop environment) to be on the big cores. I think the task energy should be very similar for such short workloads if your turbo settings are reasonable.

And sometimes you want long running tasks to stay on the small cores, especially when on battery.

And IDK about that kind of customization, but it would certainly be fun to play with and test.

Comment

But Framework sells explicitly linux-friendly barebones for very reasonable prices.

You are paying for active distro support with S76, I suppose. Which is reasonable, but thats different than simply supporting a barebones option or linux testing.
                      System 76 Galago (i5-1135G7, 8Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD) - $999
                      Framework (i5-1135G7, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD) - was $999 before yesterday.

More or less comparable prices, I think. Framework's screen is, probably, better, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X