Upgraded Linux-Friendly Framework Laptop Shifts To Intel 12th Gen "Alder Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
    Not the best time to invest into Intel's hardware. You will get poor performance for their cores on Linux as well as hot piece of plastic on any OS
    You know of a better a new laptop with AMDs new Ryzen chips that comes with Linux?

Comment

That's a significant upgrade, may be getting me one soonish. :+ )

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

You know of a better a new laptop with AMDs new Ryzen chips that comes with Linux?
        Use a newer kernel (without the "press any key to shut down" issue) and the Asus G513QY AMD Advantage Edition is pretty nice. But there are now Ryzen 6000 laptops, and obviously the AMD Advantage Edition doesn't have an nVidia GPU (if you need CUDA...)

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          Use a newer kernel (without the "press any key to shut down" issue) and the Asus G513QY AMD Advantage Edition is pretty nice. But there are now Ryzen 6000 laptops, and obviously the AMD Advantage Edition doesn't have an nVidia GPU (if you need CUDA...)
          I am not interested paying for a Windows license that I am not going to use. I am not looking for a massive gaming laptop like that either

Comment

I am not interested paying for a Windows license that I am not going to use. I am not looking for a massive gaming laptop like that either
            Then find a custom builder who will sell a laptop without an OS. They exist in the UK, I'm sure they must elsewhere. It doesn't usually save that much money, however.

Comment

Rembrandt laptops are quite rare now, and even the compact ones come with dGPUs it sounds like you don't need. I think it will be ages before someone sells a barebones one.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
                Not the best time to invest into Intel's hardware. You will get poor performance for their cores on Linux as well as hot piece of plastic on any OS
                ADL's CPU is great, albeit clocked a little aggressively ootb, but AMD did that with Cezanne too.

Comment

Since FW have open-sourced their board designs, one day there's a real possibility someone could slap a Libre-SoC or other Microwatt-deroved CPU inside one. I love everything about the Framwork besides the amd64 architecture, so I may pick one up anyway in hopes that that day will come and just se the mainboard for an 11th gen one + the $140 difference for someone who wants to upgrade theirs for cheap.
                  For now, I'll be rooting for that T2080-based laptop, but FW has so many things going for it (13.5" 3:2 screen especially) that I would think it was a shame for it not to someday come with a ppc64[le] option.

Comment

System76 Pangolin? I think they will update it soon

Comment

Originally posted by Redeye View Post
                      ...someone could slap a Libre-SoC or other Microwatt-deroved CPU inside one.
                      It would be pretty dope if SiFive and an ARM board manufacturer made some boards that could go into a framework. It probably wouldn't be a blockbuster, though.

Do Frameworks really use Intel Laptop Element or some sort of pre-specced Evo layout under the hood?

Comment

Working...
                      X