No announcement yet.

Upgraded Linux-Friendly Framework Laptop Shifts To Intel 12th Gen "Alder Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded Linux-Friendly Framework Laptop Shifts To Intel 12th Gen "Alder Lake"

Phoronix: Upgraded Linux-Friendly Framework Laptop Shifts To Intel 12th Gen "Alder Lake"

The Framework Laptop is a modular laptop design that launched a year ago and is designed to be upgrade-friendly and allows users for switching out lots of components from different ports to the motherboard itself. And the laptop is Linux-friendly -- see my Framework Laptop review from last year. For new systems or those wishing to upgrade their laptop's motherboard, Intel Core 12th Gen "Alder Lake" is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like ADL, and I especially like the idea of setting background stuff to run on the efficiency cores by default. This can be done with ProcessLasso, but its much easier in linux.

... but I would rather have AMD Van Gogh or Rembrandt. Zen 2/3 seems to excel in that ~3Ghz sweetspot, and plenty of desktop work benefits from a better iGPU.

What I *really* want from Framework is an Asus G14 analogue.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 19 May 2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah, me too, still waiting for the AMD motherboard version of it.

Besides that, have you seem what the DIY enthusiast have been doing with Framework parts?

People are using the parts available on Framework Marketplace as components for several projects, really cool stuff

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Besides that, have you seem what the DIY enthusiast have been doing with Framework parts?

People are using the parts available on Framework Marketplace as components for several projects, really cool stuff
        Any links??

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

Any links??

Some of these Retro-style Computer with a Modern Core
          A Retro-style Computer with a Modern Core. Contribute to penk/MainboardTerminal development by creating an account on GitHub.

A Framework mainboard based Cyberdeck. Contribute to brickbots/framedeck development by creating an account on GitHub.

This portable "gameboy" version looks so awesome.
          Last edited by castlefox; 19 May 2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I was attempting to wait on the AMD version of the Frame.work laptops, but the more I looked into it, the further away in the future Frame.work laptop W/ AMD chips looked.
            I am putting in my pre-order for a 12th gen Intel version of the Frame.work laptop today.

Comment

Be nice to have a 17" laptop with lots of storage bays. Of course, that would not be thin and light, different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Take Intel's "Poor Efficient" cores and give us Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                  I am putting in my pre-order for a 12th gen Intel version of the Frame.work laptop today.
                  Not the best time to invest into Intel's hardware. You will get poor performance for their cores on Linux as well as hot piece of plastic on any OS

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

Some of these Retro-style Computer with a Modern Core
                    A Retro-style Computer with a Modern Core. Contribute to penk/MainboardTerminal development by creating an account on GitHub.

A Framework mainboard based Cyberdeck. Contribute to brickbots/framedeck development by creating an account on GitHub.

This portable "gameboy" version looks so awesome.
                    Im a fan of the c64 style keyboard+laptop elevated computing systems did

Comment

Working...
                    X