No announcement yet.

Android 13 Beta 1 Released - Continues Focus On Privacy & Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, does it provide some security FROM Google (not BY Google)?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      So, does it provide some security FROM Google (not BY Google)?
      Nothing is free, if you want to use all the luxurious features of Google mobile services/Apple services you’re going to have a telemetry system on your device. They spent millions developing the services, they deserve something back.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Nothing is free, if you want to use all the luxurious features of Google mobile services/Apple services you’re going to have a telemetry system on your device. They spent millions developing the services, they deserve something back.
        Except that 1) I PAID for the device, I'm not asking for anything for free; and 2) If that is how it is, then were is the option in Android to NOT use any telemetry (and no services that rely on it)?

Comment

Except that 1) I PAID for the device, I'm not asking for anything for free; and 2) If that is how it is, then were is the option in Android to NOT use any telemetry (and no services that rely on it)?
          You aren’t paying anything extra for Google mobile services, there isn’t any licensing fees. When you turn on your phone you get a TOS from the manufacturer who has their own telemetry layer which most likely sells your data unlike Google/Apple. If you disagree to Google’s TOS at setup of an Android phone, you don’t get the luxury of using GMS.

Comment

You aren’t paying anything extra for Google mobile services, there isn’t any licensing fees. When you turn on your phone you get a TOS from the manufacturer who has their own telemetry layer which most likely sells your data unlike Google/Apple. If you disagree to Google’s TOS at setup of an Android phone, you don’t get the luxury of using GMS.
            All I want is the luxury of NOT using GMS. How do I actually, reliably disable the telemetry and all other connections between my device and Google? What oversight do I have that my device is really absolutely unreachable by and invisible to Google (not a promise or ToS, a physical impossibility for Google to implement or use a backdoor no matter how hard they try)?

Comment

All I want is the luxury of NOT using GMS. How do I actually, reliably disable the telemetry and all other connections between my device and Google? What oversight do I have that my device is really absolutely unreachable by and invisible to Google (not a promise or ToS, a physical impossibility for Google to implement or use a backdoor no matter how hard they try)?
              Use an AOSP rom and don’t install gapps or buy a non-GMS Android phone but then you’ll have to rely on their services. Which again most likely sell your data.

Comment

If you’re worried about security use AOSP without Google mobile services or a hardened Android OS like GrapheneOS.

https://grapheneos.org
                I wish this was practical. Most people use their phones with software that goes through a lot of effort to detect modified systems. Software like Whatsapp, Netflix and banking-apps did not work last time I checked.

The irony is that stock images are vulnerable to many attacks yet it's the only way to use a device in a "typical modern society".

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I wish this was practical. Most people use their phones with software that goes through a lot of effort to detect modified systems. Software like Whatsapp, Netflix and banking-apps did not work last time I checked.

The irony is that stock images are vulnerable to many attacks yet it's the only way to use a device in a "typical modern society".
                  Netflix, WhatsApps and banking apps work on GrapheneOS. The issue are apps that require google services. You just need to read up on which roms supports enforced SELinux and relocking the boot loader.

if you can live without Google then you can easily use AOSP.

Comment

Netflix, WhatsApps and banking apps work on GrapheneOS. The issue are apps that require google services. You just need to read up on which roms supports enforced SELinux and relocking the boot loader.

if you can live without Google then you can easily use AOSP.
                    Netflix might work but only in standard def (480p). 720p+ requires widevine keys, and the act of unlocking your bootloader (required to install any non-stock rom) renders those keys unusable

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Netflix might work but only in standard def (480p). 720p+ requires widevine keys, and the act of unlocking your bootloader (required to install any non-stock rom) renders those keys unusable
                      Edit: Removed because I was incorrect. Widevine doesn’t work on AOSP without GMS since it’s a Google DRM that depends on google play services.
                      Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 28 April 2022, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X