System76 Announces "Kudu" AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Powered Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    FFS what's with these companies obsession with nVidia? I mean there's still only one laptop out there with the 6800M FFS, yet there's plenty of laptops with AMD CPUs paired with every bloody nVidia card
    The AMD Advantage effort has been a huge pile of fail so far. As you said, exactly 1 laptop on the planet with the 6800m, and only half a dozen systems total. The Strix G15 is the only interesting one, but the morons at Asus pulled the same bonehead "no webcam during a pandemic with work/learn from home herp derp" crap as on the G14. I hope they make an updated all AMD G15 this year and add a webcam.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      That's a steaming pile of crap for 1799$. No coreboot and no GPU that actually works on Linux without problems. Where is that legendary System76 Linux friendliness?
      Linux friendliness: if you do not buy OpenPOWER,RISC-V as full opensource ISA or at least ARM who has near zero windows marketshare and makes all it sales on linux... with libre-soc GPU as the only option without closed source firmware or the second best option AMD GPU... yes if you dont do this you do not have any linux friendliness.

technologically from the performance and freedom OpenPOWER is the best option much better than RISC-V
      ARM is less open but still much more linux friendly than X86_64..

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

1080p is good enough? OK - and then the same people cry when new font rendering doesn't do hinting and sub-pixel positioning anymore (which aren't possible to implment when you render on the GPU) and the fonts look blurry. And also HiDPI scaling - ever heard of that? The physical size of the UI on a 4k at 2x scaling is the same as 1080p, however everything is sharper because of double the resolution.

1080p on a 15 inch display is about 140DPI that's just not good enough - it wasn't good enough in 2018 and it isn't good enough in 2022. Today you can pretty much get a 4k TV for a reasonable price, you can also get good 4k monitor for a reasonable low price, and even the budget Smartphones have screen resolution over 250DPI, but laptops? no .. you want a higher than 1080p and you pay the a double premium price and this is all because "1080p is good enough".
        I agree with you: ~265 PPI is perfect for me for a laptop screen. On a desktop, I find about 180 to 190 PPI to be the sweet spot. We're finally in the golden age of displays that are no longer pixelated in appearance, for everyone, including those with 20/10 vision.

But do understand people with poorer visual acuity, say 20/20, are genuinely happy with lower pixel density screens. They truly don't see the jaggies on a 1080p 24" desktop monitor. They're the same people who find 1440p great at 27 or even 30" (which looks like a blocky mess to me). To them, there is no benefit going beyond 1080p on a 15" screen, and choosing more battery life is a no brainer for them.

But I get the frustration: for so long we were stuck with low pixel densities because it's good enough for a majority of people.

Comment

Help me understand why anyone would buy this vs the tons of polished machines out there at the same price point. Macbook Air anyone (i know glorified toy and all ...) ?
          Last edited by xhustler; 02 February 2022, 03:27 AM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

For me, the sweet spot is a 17" 4k screen with no scaling: I can put a 1080p window in each corner, or expand a window to 1920x2160ish. I got a laptop with this screen format last year, and it's the first time I haven't felt cramped working on just a laptop screen. Interfaces are still designed for 1080p, so everything just works, unlike with a 1440p screen. The battery life sucks, but it's worth it for the increased productivity.

I ended up going with an Intel based system, using the onboard graphics, and no dGPU. I would have preferred an AMD system, but they all seem to come with NVidia GPUs and their driver headaches.
            That's the equivalent of 8.6" 1080p... I got 20-20 vision and kinda classify myself as a "pixel peeper," but that would be too small for me without scaling app UIs up.

It would be nice for media work in apps that behave though. You could stack 1080p frames side by side with 1:1 pixel mapping and almost no cropping.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 02 February 2022, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

1080p is low resolution crap IMO, but I'm not a gamer, and this isn't aimed at me I suppose.
              I dont even game on linux, and I still like it. I would prefer 4K, but I would not prefer 1440p.

in fact, I think resolution is *more* advantageous in games, especially outside of mega fidelity AAAs (which would push these smaller laptop GPUs too hard).

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

The AMD Advantage effort has been a huge pile of fail so far. As you said, exactly 1 laptop on the planet with the 6800m, and only half a dozen systems total. The Strix G15 is the only interesting one, but the morons at Asus pulled the same bonehead "no webcam during a pandemic with work/learn from home herp derp" crap as on the G14. I hope they make an updated all AMD G15 this year and add a webcam.
                Yes Intel is bribing OEMs better than AMD. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                  The Asus G15 has had a lot of issues anyway; keyboard not working (actually, worse - Hit Any Key To Shutdown!?!) in kernels pre-5.14(??? I forget the precise version) and random reboot issues because the power management of the 6800M was a complete mess. The former is fixed in newer kernels and the latter has been fixed by both a BIOS and VBIOS update.

I love the fact that I now have a laptop without a webcam. I've had precisely one person complain about it - and they shut up quickly when I suggested that if they didn't like it they could buy me a USB webcam - and a few people told me privately that they're going to try to find laptops without webcams themselves. Most integrated webcams are low-resolution junk and often perfectly positioned to provide as poor a view of the speaker as possible (whoever thought a webcam pointing straight up your nose was a good idea needs demoting to hot-beverage-making duties) so there we are. That's obviously not an option for everyone. However, you want to specify what I use, you need to pay for it, not expect me to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    This 100%. I just bought a 15" Dell Precision 7560. Total price was north of $3600 with the Xeon and 32 GB ECC memory and a few TB's of NVMe. I opted for the 1080p panel even though higher res ones were available. Higher res makes no sense on a screen that small. To utilize the rez you'd have to sit hunched over like an ape with your face 6 inches from the display. No thanks. I'll take normal res, better performance, and longer battery life of 1080p.

I'll take 4k on a 27" desktop display all day, but for a 15" laptop screen, 1080p is perfection.
                    Im lucky that my employer is providing me this beauty of machine with Xeon too. But I have to admit once you had been on a 15"@4k you don't want to go back. It is not only the resolution but the Dell 7560 wiht UHD Display provides full sRGB. Which makes the colours really astonishing.
                    If you have to handle a lot of scientifical plots and you have to compare them its quite handy that this display renders them lasersharp.
                    I think 1080p is the bare minimum on a modern 15" and 4k the optimum. If price is not a huge concern.

I dont like Apple Products but the "retina" marketing is somehow right. A ergonomical designed display, if technical possible, should slightly outperform the retina resolution (considering all the distance focusing, blur of eyelense ..bla anatomy).
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 02 February 2022, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                      The Asus G15 has had a lot of issues anyway; keyboard not working (actually, worse - Hit Any Key To Shutdown!?!) in kernels pre-5.14(??? I forget the precise version) and random reboot issues because the power management of the 6800M was a complete mess. The former is fixed in newer kernels and the latter has been fixed by both a BIOS and VBIOS update.

I love the fact that I now have a laptop without a webcam. I've had precisely one person complain about it - and they shut up quickly when I suggested that if they didn't like it they could buy me a USB webcam - and a few people told me privately that they're going to try to find laptops without webcams themselves. Most integrated webcams are low-resolution junk and often perfectly positioned to provide as poor a view of the speaker as possible (whoever thought a webcam pointing straight up your nose was a good idea needs demoting to hot-beverage-making duties) so there we are. That's obviously not an option for everyone. However, you want to specify what I use, you need to pay for it, not expect me to do so.
                      I'm running 5.17-rc2 with a few backported patches from what will be 5.18 to get the wifi working on a warm reboot

Suspend issues now gone, things work great, especially for gaming

I'm guessing the patches that sort stuff will be backported to the stable trees, so hopefully not too much longer for you to wait

Edit:

These are the patches (01-06) I'm running on top of 5.17-rc2 https://github.com/Fireburn/KernelStuff
                      Last edited by FireBurn; 02 February 2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X