System76 Announces "Kudu" AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Powered Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
    Anyway, yeah, that's quite a premium for explicit linux support. Systems76 kinda feels like the Apple of linux laptops.
    I don't think this is similar to Apple in any way. Even my eight year old MacBook Pro has a high quality 2880x1800px display (which I personally wouldn't want to miss) and cost about the same. I am willing to bet that basically anything non-compute (chassis, keyboard, speakers, battery) is of higher quality, too. Of course, the CPU, GPU and such cannot be compared due to the age. The "Kudu" seems more like a rebranded noname laptop with pretty random components and an enormous price premium for first party Linux support. If you pick your device carefully in terms of Linux support you can certainly get a much better deal...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Missed opportunity to include an AMD graphics option

Even if NVIDIA is the gold standard in computing (due to CUDA), AMD should be an option as the Linux community has a large base of AMD seekers...
      I wouldn't say System76 "missed" the opportunity as much as the opportunity never existed because they have to buy from an ODM and this is what is available.
      Now, I'm not saying there aren't options out there with AMD GPUs, but something tells me System76 couldn't get those options.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

I wouldn't say System76 "missed" the opportunity as much as the opportunity never existed because they have to buy from an ODM and this is what is available.
        Now, I'm not saying there aren't options out there with AMD GPUs, but something tells me System76 couldn't get those options.
        But Clevo now provides AMD configurations, so..... (maybe not that one tho)

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
          What an ugly brick..
          The uglier the better. It's meant for hard work; not to win a beauty contest.

Comment

Brick is good - usually it means more durability, better battery and (whats important) good cooling system. I am already sick of "notebooks" that are thin as sheet of paper and have a 15W parody on CPU for a price of a good laptop. And I don't have any problem with brick weight, since any notebook needs a bag or backpack for transportation.

Comment

Nvidia GPU is a non-starter for me. Would have been better if they waited for the Arc GPU or even a discrete AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The uglier the better. It's meant for hard work; not to win a beauty contest.
                Hear hear! No RGB or random triangles and elipses in cheesy cheap silver == win

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                Brick is good - usually it means more durability, better battery and (whats important) good cooling system. I am already sick of "notebooks" that are thin as sheet of paper and have a 15W parody on CPU for a price of a good laptop. And I don't have any problem with brick weight, since any notebook needs a bag or backpack for transportation.
                There are very few practical cases for otherwise, like having to carry much physical paper in said bag, but that isn't actually very common anymore.
                Last edited by doomie; 01 February 2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  Amen brother.

But don't associate weight with thickness. It is perfectly possible a notebook to be both thick and light. Before Jony Ivy (may he fall in his but and crack it) unleashed the MB Air on us, there was small machines that weren't netbooks, and weighted around 1kg/2lb.

Comment

I got one of these Clevo laptops (in this case rebranded as Gigabyte) and I can even use the tuxedo drivers for keyboard lights/fan control. These are nice laptops that are good for gaming, because they are not thin so they don't get throttled. However, I can't see how someone would pay double of what this laptop is really worth just to have a "Tuxedo" or "System76" sticker on top of it (unless you are a freetard of course).

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                      i just can't understand why people buying is kind of product. That's pretty much a rebranded cheap laptop from china. Is it for linux support? I doubt that, considering the hardware it has. It doesn't live up "linux laptop" gimmick.
                      They buy it for the Linux support and a guarantee that you are getting a machine that is compatible with Linux. You can do your homework and research what Windows laptops would work flawlessly or with tweaks on Linux, but that time you spend researching is also extra cost on you. So, people just prefer to pay extra for someone else to do this research for them.
                      However, this specific laptop is pretty ugly and bulky, with nVidia rather than Radeon RX, and it also has a small battery, so not sure why anyone would prefer this over the Oryx Pro.

Comment

Working...
                      X