Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop Now Enjoys Open-Source EC Firmware

Phoronix: Framework Laptop Now Enjoys Open-Source EC Firmware

While just one part of the overall equation for a system with open-source firmware, the Framework Laptop has joined the ranks of the Linux-focused laptops these days being backed by open-source firmware for its embedded controller (EC)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good! TBH this seems like a much better value than System76's pricey and less repairable ultrabook, and its proof they don't need a dedicated OS to support linux well.

A G14 analogue from Framework would be my laptop-to-end-all-laptops, especially if good linux hybrid support was a priority.

Comment

I’m waiting for an all AMD laptop, plus a Europe shop and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
        I’m waiting for an all AMD laptop, plus a Europe shop and support.
        All AMD would be nice.

As would worldwide availability.

Comment

I absolutely love what these people are doing.

Comment

Let's hope they will be able to fix the numerous power drain issues the current laptop has. But I suspect it's due to legitimate hardware issues, which is unfortunate. Framework laptops seem to drain several percent of battery per hour for many users in standby, no matter what they try. Some users even report significant battery drain fully shutdown. Some of those plug-in modules appear to be problematic, but since those are a major selling point of the laptop, they should have figured that out already!

Comment

Very hopeful for these laptops. If they had a keyboard with a trackpoint option, I'd get this in a heartbeat. Even better with full AMD

Comment

This is great, but being in South America doesn't help...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Let's hope they will be able to fix the numerous power drain issues the current laptop has. But I suspect it's due to legitimate hardware issues, which is unfortunate. Framework laptops seem to drain several percent of battery per hour for many users in standby, no matter what they try. Some users even report significant battery drain fully shutdown. Some of those plug-in modules appear to be problematic, but since those are a major selling point of the laptop, they should have figured that out already!
                  Link please?

Comment

Nice!
                    I hope that the will finish their support for LVFS too!
                    As for hardware, I hope to see support for some AMD and 17 inch screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X