AMD Prepares Linux Fix For Some Laptops Not Resuming From s2idle Suspend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Prepares Linux Fix For Some Laptops Not Resuming From s2idle Suspend

Phoronix: AMD Prepares Linux Fix For Some Laptops Not Resuming From s2idle Suspend

Recently there have been reports of some AMD Ryzen powered notebooks being unable to correctly suspend from resume in s2idle mode. It appears the issue ultimately stems from a firmware setting issue and a set of Linux patches were sent out today to address the condition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ACPI: the most relaxed standard with thousands of implementations... and all of them suck.

Comment

Isn't S2idle using less power than S3?

Comment

This is huge for lots of Lenovo/AMD users, if it actually works (unlike the BIOS updates from Lenovo).

Comment

There are a user that measured power consumption, S3 drain's too much battery power..
          • S0ix 406 mW/h( s2idle )
          • S3 738 mW/h( S3 )
          Its Almost the double of the power consumption in S3..
          Those guys can't even get this basic functionality of suspend-to-Ram, or to disk right, for god sake..

How can a guy buy a laptop with those CPUs if they can't even get that sh*t right..
          I am a potential buyer, but not until they resolve the issues, I will not buy broken hardware again!

S3 should consume less power than s2idle..
          Last edited by tuxd3v; 05 January 2022, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            [...]

S3 should consume less power than s2idle..
            Well, it's in the first post really: "windows 10" mode for s2idle to be usable, that means anything else (i.e. S3) the bios offers is probably completely untested by lenovo.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              How can a guy buy a laptop with those CPUs if they can't even get that sh*t right..
              I am a potential buyer, but not until they resolve the issues, I will not buy broken hardware again!
              Last year I bought a Tiger Lake notebook, it has it issues with Linux as well, but as you can see, it isn't a case of broken hardware, it is broken software, which most of the cases are solved during the lifespan of the product ☺️

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Last year I bought a Tiger Lake notebook, it has it issues with Linux as well, but as you can see, it isn't a case of broken hardware, it is broken software, which most of the cases are solved during the lifespan of the product ☺️
                broken firmware creates broken hardware.. lets hope they don't take years to solve the problem..
                It seems that technically... something is missing also on the CPUs
                But they can work around..

Comment

Holy crap, it's about time... embarassing more than anything...
                  It's "good news" from AMD, but as usual I suspect these patches and fixes will not apply to older generations of Ryzen laptops, only the newer ones in the market. AMD is notorious for doing that.
                  So basically I sit here with my Ryzen 3500U laptop (Zen+ generation from January 2019, not even Zen2, none of these in stock in my region) unable to suspend to RAM (hibernate will cause unnecessary strain on SSD disks)
                  It's awful the state of AMD laptops for Linux right now, you have all sorts of problems, the main one being old-outdated-obsolete CPU frequency schedulers that DO NOT take full advantage of the immense power available on these little beasts APU. All kinds of problems, Linux is unable to fluctuate the voltage to make the CPU work under heavy loads (you will be stuck on the lowest TDP Wattage power for whatever reason)

Another thing with Linux and AMD is that they always release these press statements pointing out IN DETAIL where the problems are and what's causing it (basically admitting they know what it is) but then the problems will be hardly ever fixed. And even if they are fixed, it will be YEARS after you acquired your product, so you can only take advantage of the fixes if you have the newer generation (having to spend again)
                  It's so blatant at this point and it is so shameless.
                  AMD in terms of hardware are BEASTS, specially these new laptop APU's, wow are they good. But at the end the hardware is being handicapped by FLAWED SOFTWARE. It's always been the case with AMD hardware for the past 15 years, and it seems like it's even worse nowadays (2019 onwards)
                  Not making purchases out of principles again. Anti-consumer practices, enough with it. Next time, it's Intel + Nvidia to me, because I'm tired of having to burn hours away from my free time trying to fix issues that the company should be fixing themselves, they are being paid for it., I'm not.

Comment

These are my options for using my AMD laptop on Linux right now, and I'm talking basic internet browser usage most of the time, not even heavy applications.

Option 1) Having "Turbo Boost" enabled on my APU so it can reach the higher advertised clocks (but then a single youtube page will make the laptop work under CONSTANT 100% load and reaching 75 C degrees)

Option 2) Disable "turbo boost" in order to deal with temperatures and keep clocks at a sane level (not on Max all the time) but then I will get stuttering and random performance drops when browsing web pages

It's also funny to me how "new hardware" is always put as the blame for everything.
                    Do an experiment yourself: take one of these brand new Ryzen laptops and install Windows XP on it.
                    You will instantly see that things work there just fine, as they were intended to work
                    in an OS FROM 2001 !!!!!!
                    The linux absurdity became so insane that we are lagging behind an OS released in 2001 now

Which also remembers me another huge con for AMD hardware on Linux: battery life
                    Never more than 3 hours of battery life with AMD laptops on Linux
                    Windows 10 is capable of cooling the APU to lower frequencies on idle.
                    Again: SOFTWARE handicapping the chip, not the other way around

Comment

Working...
                    X