Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 0.7.1 Brings Linux Network Love

Phoronix: NetworkManager 0.7.1 Brings Linux Network Love

It has been in the works for a while, but Red Hat has finally released the NetworkManager 0.7.1 update. This point update to the wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0 brings support for more mobile broadband devices and mobile phones, works with more WiFi and wired network devices, compatibility fixes, reduced wake-ups to conserve power, WiFi strength corrections, Bluetooth improvements, support for custom IPv4 settings with mobile broadband devices, and various other fixes too. The NetworkManager 0.7.1 release can be downloaded off GNOME.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations ). And of course if you could finally shut down your WiFi without having to reboot your machine or manually unloading the module.

A shame that nowadays Linux is still _not_ able to provide a working network management solution. Come on folks, we've got OO and what the fuck else but you can't do proper network managers? Jeez U.=.U

Comment

NM works great here. Applet, dbus, user-friendly interface - it's the solution for the networking part of Linux.

While OOo continues to look like crap and work on AA in the year of 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        "wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations )...
        (3) with PPPoE.

Comment

Will this make it into Jaunty? I guess not.

Would be nice, as I'm sharing internet over bluetooth and clicking would be far preferable to constantly re-entering stuff in the terminal. Especially as it likes to drop dead every now and then.

Comment

@dammarin
            you could search in packages.ubuntu.com for network-manager and you would see that there is already version 0.7.1 RC4. So it will be included.

@Dragonlord
            you are right, how can this piece of software have problems with so many fundamental things like connect to a static wired network? They should fix those things.

Comment

wicd works great for me

wicd is easy to use, while nm is a little bit too clever for me.

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              "wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations ). And of course if you could finally shut down your WiFi without having to reboot your machine or manually unloading the module.

A shame that nowadays Linux is still _not_ able to provide a working network management solution. Come on folks, we've got OO and what the fuck else but you can't do proper network managers? Jeez U.=.U

Comment

NetworkManager, like many new Linux desktop technologies is half baked and lacks basic functionality. Just like many softwares the developers jump on to more interesting things before they can even begin to outshine the networking capabilities of windows 95.

Comment

NM works fine here.

Why is everyone bashing opensource projects all the time. If you have something to complain about, correct it yourself or startup a new project? Remember they are doing everything for free, so you can use it without paying anything.

Wait some time an NM will be better, I'm sure of that. Even if you don't help them out with current bugs ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
                    NetworkManager, like many new Linux desktop technologies is half baked and lacks basic functionality. Just like many softwares the developers jump on to more interesting things before they can even begin to outshine the networking capabilities of windows 95.
                    You just get apps earlier and that's good, because you don't have to wait for 'real' v1.0 etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X